Windows 7 Student 32 to 64-bit upgrade - invalid ISO

fbgm13

Hi guys,
I just purchased the student-special-offer edition of Windows 7 this morning and went ahead to buy the version for 64-bit system even though my current system runs on 32-bit, figuring out that I could perhaps configure everything (I checked, my computer is 64-bit compatible). However, after I downloaded the ISO file (Link Removed due to 404 Error) and the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool onto my computer and run the download tool, I can't even get past the first step as it doesn't recognize the ISO file. Is there a step I missed? Thank you so much! :)

Hi guys,
I just purchased the student-special-offer edition of Windows 7 this morning and went ahead to buy the version for 64-bit system even though my current system runs on 32-bit, figuring out that I could perhaps configure everything (I checked, my computer is 64-bit compatible). However, after I downloaded the ISO file (Link Removed due to 404 Error) and the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool onto my computer and run the download tool, I can't even get past the first step as it doesn't recognize the ISO file. Is there a step I missed? Thank you so much! :)

silly question maybe but are you sure you have fully downloaded the ISO which is 3.1gb in size ??

That is not a silly question at all! I am actually confused by that... I saw under the directions that Microsoft/Digital River posted that the ISO file is around 3GB, but when I went to the link provided (by Lifehacker), the file was 170mb... I don't know what 3GB ISO file they're talking about then?
Thanks!

That is not a silly question at all! I am actually confused by that... I saw under the directions that Microsoft/Digital River posted that the ISO file is around 3GB, but when I went to the link provided (by Lifehacker), the file was 170mb... I don't know what 3GB ISO file they're talking about then?
Thanks!

the reason i say that is the file you said was the iso with the link
the ISO file (Link Removed due to 404 Error)
i clicked it with my opera browser and it went straight to download an ISO file 3.1gb in size , so maybe just try download it again :)

Thanks, I just double-checked and the file states that it's 3.0 GB as well, but as soon as it starts downloading, the process gets terminated automatically at no more than 300MB. I have tried this over and over again for no less than 30 times and I've never gone past the 300MB mark... my internet speed should not be the problem as it was downloading at 5.1MB/sec, so I am just really confused now :confused:

And another question...does a clean install (I assume this is the only option to go from 32-bit vista to 64-bit Windows 7) mean that it's going to wipe out all the data I had on my laptop previously?

Thanks, I just double-checked and the file states that it's 3.0 GB as well, but as soon as it starts downloading, the process gets terminated automatically at no more than 300MB. I have tried this over and over again for no less than 30 times and I've never gone past the 300MB mark... :confused:

Do you have a firewall running? Any type of spyware or anything that checks for that stuff? I seem to remember someone the other day that could only get 25% of the download and his firewall blocked more for some reason.

Hi guys,

Is that the home preminum version ? It's got to be the 64 bit version

Did you burn it at 4x ? Burning faster seems to often cause errors reading the disk.

No, my firewall is off... It is so frustrating to keep trying to download the same file without any success! :(

Thanks, I just double-checked and the file states that it's 3.0 GB as well, but as soon as it starts downloading, the process gets terminated automatically at no more than 300MB. I have tried this over and over again for no less than 30 times and I've never gone past the 300MB mark... my internet speed should not be the problem as it was downloading at 5.1MB/sec, so I am just really confused now :confused:

this is a know issue for digitalriver and Link Removed - Invalid URL If it was me I would be on the phone to microsoft asking for a hard copy and or a working alternative, then cancel from digitalriver :mad:

Thank you so much... I think I am just going to ask for a refund and reorder the 32-bit system. My ram is only at 2.0 GB, so I don't think 32 vs 64-bit will make much of a difference, right?

The error they describe - and the idea to switch to 32 is only if you have the setup files.

You do not have the setup files. You will be getting the .iso and install by booting a dvd or usb.

There is not that much difference in size - the 32 bit iso is a little over 2,5gb.

Your issue is to do with downloading, not the bit version.

Did you try getting it from Gizmodo ( view the Show Hidden Threads - at the bottom of the page)

http://gizmodo.com/5391268/microsoft-fixes-windows-7-student-edition-upgrade-problems#comments

Last edited:
I was trying to see whether I could upgrade my system to 64-bit... it's possible but for whatever odd reasons, I just can't download the ISO file for a clean upgrade. I went to the gizmodo site and tried the link provided -- I think it's the same one supported by digital river? It still gets cut off :mad: Getting a refund for 64 and reordering one for 32 is going to be a hassle... I submitted my request this morning and haven't heard back yet, so they must be busy answering questions. If only I went ahead with ordering the 32, I would not have to install this onto DVD/USB and just installed over my current system... this is the price for greed :(

Thank you so much... I think I am just going to ask for a refund and reorder the 32-bit system. My ram is only at 2.0 GB, so I don't think 32 vs 64-bit will make much of a difference, right?

64 bid doesn't matter until ram is 4 gb or more.

I don't think they give refunds... your key will work for 32 or 64 bit.. just download the 32 bit version and burn slowly to disk. I got Microsofts links on my last blog.

It downloads fine for me.

If you got the 32 bit setup files - instead of the .iso - then you could run setup from the drive.

Trouble with that is - you have no bootable install media. If you can't get into Windows ( not uncommon) How are you going to reinstall ?

Everyone should have bootable install media.

If you get the setup files - then make an .iso and burn to dvd ( or make bootable flash drive)

It is easy and free. Full instructions here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/32055-bootable-iso-create-installation-files.html

Note: You can make an .iso from 32 or 64 bit setup files - even if you are on a 32 bit o/s.

In the tutorial, I was booted into 32 bit Vista. I used vlite v1.1.6 ( which I have had for a while - great app.). I created a 7 x64 .iso in a couple of minutes.

I was trying to see whether I could upgrade my system to 64-bit... it's possible but for whatever odd reasons, I just can't download the ISO file for a clean upgrade. I went to the gizmodo site and tried the link provided -- I think it's the same one supported by digital river? It still gets cut off :mad: Getting a refund for 64 and reordering one for 32 is going to be a hassle... I submitted my request this morning and haven't heard back yet, so they must be busy answering questions. If only I went ahead with ordering the 32, I would not have to install this onto DVD/USB and just installed over my current system... this is the price for greed :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom