Windows 7 suddenly BSOD during startup when not in safe mode

lunaras13

my computer was running fine then yesterday i suddenly got shut down and anytime i turned it back on i would get a BSOD after a few seconds unless i went to safe mode

its a page_fault_in_nonpaged_area 0x00000050

the only thing different is i downloaded borderlands from steam, played for about 8 hours, then got the xpacks running, then 10 mins later it shut itself down on its own

currently system restore only had 2 options for 8am when i downloaded borderlands, 1 said critical system update adn the other was direct x 9

im not good with computer hardware so if u need any more info tell me, but heres some system stuff

System Info
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Gfx Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
Motherboard: MSI (Micro Star) MS-7522 (X58 Pro-E)

Hi Lunaras, please go to C:Windows/Minidump and post the contents. If nothing is in the folder you'll need to configure your system to produce said dmp files. Open Control panel and hit system and security then System and then look on the left hand side for Advanced system settings. Click that and then hit advanced along the top of the resulting box. Look near the bottom for start up and recovery and hit settings. Click that and in the next box you'll see a drop down menu near the bottom. Make sure that small memory dump is the default setting and your done. Next time you bsod please send the results which you'll find in the minidump folder.

View attachment 071612-25718-01.dmp

when i did this and started it up normally WD smartware had problems, I had heard WD was crap because of how much needless space it took up, but could it possibly be the problem?

on a side note if that isnt anything important, i had been searching around the site and found that the page_fault thing was often associated with RAM. A while back i had 3 2GB sticks of ram then bought and installed a 4gb stick, and it started displaying as me only having 8GB, i just assumed one of the 2GB sticks wasnt compatible now that i had the 4GB, but never actually took it out. should i do that or take the 4GB out? this was like 2+ months ago so not recent and didnt think about it till i read RAM might be the problem

Hi,
thanks for posting the dmp file. The dmp file was created because of a 'Page_Fault_in_Nonpaged_Area' this means that your PC asked for a page of memory in order to continue, and the page was not available. Windows was unable to continue with the processes it was running, and crashed with what is commonly known as the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD).

Your memory needs testing a stick at a time. Use this app here: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

As to your different sized sticks of RAM. A golden rule is to always put the largest or fastest stick in the slot closest to the CPU. Once you've tested try this set up and see how things are. (as long as the sticks are good of course).

thank you, are there by chance any more in depth guides to how to download and use that program? I know the terms ISO and source code but having just lots of links thrown at me at once with no real instruction is leaving me with a bigger headache than the BSOD

Hi,

no problem..

Go to the link I gave you for Memtest and then scroll down the page until you see the link arrowed in this screenshot:

memtest download.jpg

Download the file and then unzip it using something like 7Zip: 7-Zip Then you'll need to mount the iso file onto a CD/DVD. I use this app as it's free and great at it's job: https://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/0710/Offline/Ashampoo-Burning-Studio-6

Now not wanting to complicate things but if you would prefer to use a thumbdrive or flashdrive then there are download links for that too. In fact just down from the one arrowed is a link for an 'auto installer for a flash/thumb drive'.

Whichever you choose once ready you'll need to boot into your bios and change the boot order to boot from either disk or thumbdrive and not HDD.

I'd run the test on each stick for about an hour or so although usually if they are bad it'll come up pretty much straight away. Not always though.. There are exceptions so keep it running like I said for around an hour.

Any problems post back.

found out 1 of my friends used to work in geek squad so he told me how to work it, he also said just to try them all one by one to see if only one brought up the BSOD. few hours later, they all caused the BSOD and memtest went for like 8+ passes each saying no problems

is there any other thing that could be a problem or is it like they r all busted?

Hmm... It could be that the slot is suspect... Is your motherboard running the latest bios? Also are you sure you have the correct settings enabled in the bios for your particular RAM?

PassMark RAMMon comes up with an error "unable to load DirectIo Driver Unexpected Error"
i tried both 32 and 64 bit

and cpu-z comes up with "The error code 0x43C (1084) occured during initialization. do you want to display the error log file?"
ive included the error log along with what little info it still displayed

the seven forums one worked fine as far as i could tell

Attachments

• Seven Forums.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 285
  • CPU-Z.zip
    144.6 KB · Views: 204
Thank you. Unfortunately I couldn't determine what your actual bios is. I did check your motherboards website and the last two or three bios versions have contained updates for memory. When your system first boots up the first page seen will contain the information re bios. Or look through CPU-z under the motherboard section and it will have the exact bios listed.

I think this is your motherboards web page but please make sure before going ahead with any bios flashing etc:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Try re-installing CPU-Z from here: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Last edited:
here is the page of newegg that i bought the comp from Newegg.com - Open Box: CyberpowerPC Gamer Xtreme 1093 Desktop PC Intel Core i7 960(3.20GHz) 6GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
it should have any system info i forgot to mention

ill edit this post in a min after i do those things

reinstalling comes up with same problem, even if i download the rar file of the whole thing. I'm under the impression that it might work in normal mode but i can only boot in safe mode atm.

edit: the bios is saying "the version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you are running"

edit2: this is starting to be a major headache with so many things not working and i cant give you all the data needed, do yo think i should just go pay geek squad or some1 or do you think its simple enough to fix by tomorrow?

Last edited:
To try and get into Windows try booting up with just one stick of RAM inserted. Then you can run cpu-z. Also did you ever try the press F8 when booting and click 'last good known config'? The newegg link kinda tells me what you got but not the details I need. See if the above works..

Will it be fixed by tomorrow? Well it's perhaps unlikely given the time between answering post etc. I certainly don't mind working through this with you but also understand if you need the machine fixing sooner. I must admit that if your machine was sat in front of me it would make life a lot easier and perhaps a solution found a lot quicker.

i put only the 4gb into one of the other slots rather than the nearest one, still got blue screen, and still getting same error with CPU-Z in safe mode

the start in last known good config part i tried that back in the beginning when i was in "oh sheet itsa virus gooo baaack" mode. would it make a difference doig it now with just 1 stick in?

Last edited:
Yeah I don't think you'll get cpu-z to work properly in safe mode. I was reading through your thread again and noticed you mentioned something to with the HDD (WD Smartware), can you try and run a chkdsk? Rightclick on your HDD in My Computer and choose properties and then tools. Click 'Check now' making sure all the boxes are ticked to repair bad sectors.

sent to geek squad, main problem was multiple anti virus programs >_< stupid AVG

everything is working better now, i wish computers weren't so hard

Back