Windows 7 Suspicious Win Update

Irishmist20

Extraordinary Member
Twice, on recent start-ups, I've received a single pop-up asking if I wanted Microsoft to install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 for Windows 7x64 based systems KB2901983. Since I don't do any programming (just a home office user) I declined the offer. I was also very uncomfortable that the update appeared by itself and not as part of a routine Win Update. The first time this happened, Avast flagged the pop-up as a virus.

This morning I downloaded a Win Update containing the KB above, the January malicious software removal tool and five security updates. I deselected the Framework and started the update. The January malicious software removal tool took a really long time to install and ended in a BSOD, scaring the heck out of me. I forced a shutdown, rebooted normally and, thank God, I appear to be back in business. Just to be sure I immediately backed up my Quicken file.

I then checked for Win Updates and got the same Framework file and the five security updates. The January malicious software removal tool is not on the list and it's not on the history list of successful updates either.

What is the best course to take now, please? Thanks!

The .net framework is not needed just for programming, it is required for any programs which you may be running which use the .net framework. As it is near on impossible to know what your program requirements are it is best simply to install the update.

I would try reinstalling the malicious software removal tool as a stand alone install.

Thanks for the Framework explanation, patcooke. KB2901983 took an uncomfortably long time to install but it and the six security updates were successfully installed. The January malicious software removal tool is nowhere to be found. "Check for Updates" reports that there are no new updates available and it does not appear in the update history. Is there anything else I can do except to wait for the February malicious software removal tool?

Back