Windows 10 Switching sound devices causes distortion/repeated sound

Azhrei

Extraordinary Member
Hey guys,

I'm having a weird issue with switching between my onboard audio and my Sound Blaster Z. Whenever I set the latter to be the default device, I get what sounds like a sound repeated over and over, echoing endlessly. The reason I switch between the two is to use my headset when I'm playing a game that requires voice.

My setup is as follows -

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - onboard audio connected to Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers

Sound Blaster Z - PCI-EX card connected to Roccat Kave 5.1 headset

I can set the Sound Blaster to be the default communications device and use the microphone with no problem - also setting the playback device to be this card in Teamspeak lets me hear sound through the headset as well.

I have no problems with switching to the onboard audio, it's just with the headset. Any help would be greatly appreciated - I have a tournament on Saturday and I'd really like to be able to get this sorted in time.

Specs -

i5 4690K
16GB DDR3
Radeon R9 390X
Windows 10 Pro x64

Last edited:
Make/model of your Headset would be helpful. Does the Headset jack use D/SPDIF 3.5mm or USB? Can you borrow another headset from a friend or another gamer to test out your PC? If the borrowed headset works ok, you could have a borked W10 or it could be infected with a virus/malware.:waah: Have you scanned your PC with whatever AV you have installed?

Remove all viruses found by your AV, and then proceed to download the free antispyware MALWAREBYTES from malwarebytes.org. Scan/remove all spyware viruses found. Reboot and retest your headset audio. If it's fixed, you have a virus/spyware virus in your W10 and you're all set to go!:up:

If the problem persists, you'll have to troubleshoot your W10 installation, as well as test your hardware to find a more serious problem. You could also try to go to the headset makers website and download/install their latest driver for W10 for your model headset. If your hardware passes, and the driver reinstall works, again, you're fixed and set to go!:up:

If the problem persists, you may need to resort to the following:
(1.) MAKE CERTAIN THAT ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA IS BACKED UP TO EXTERNAL MEDIA BEFORE USING SOFTWARE TROUBLESHOOTING TOOLS OR HARDWARE TESTING AS RECOMMENDED IN ORDER TO AVOID IRRETRIEVABLE DATA LOSS!!!
(2.)
Rollback your windows to a point in time when the headset worked properly with W10 SYSTEM RESTORE.
(3.) Attempt a W10 Reset; instructions here in my free TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE, 2nd section here: Sound Problems
(4.) Attempt a W10 reinstallation from factory media, again, see the link in #3 above as here: Sound Problems

Remember to post back any questions if you get stuck down in the Advanced troubleshooting section. We are here 24x7x365.

Best of luck to you,:encouragement:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>> :D

Back