Windows 8 System Image Backup

davidhk129

Win 8.1 Pro

The system allows system image backup done on either external hard drive ( which I do every week ), or on DVDs.
Why it does not allow USB flash drive ?
I tried to use a 32 GB flash and it refuses to do backup on it.

Last edited:
I think it's windows issue...that said..maybe with 8.1.1, it might be different. What really surprises me is, why hasn't MS bought some 3rd party software that does that and call it there own....like they did with the messenger/skype merger.

I have win 8.1.1 installed yesterday.
That is the reason why I wanted to do a backup on a flash drive instead of my regular ext. hhd.
My intention is to keep the pre-8.1.1 image stored in my external hard drive in case something went wrong.

Guess I will have to buy another smaller capacity ext. hdd just for system image backup.

Most of my system images are 80 - 100 gigs....I would need a 128 GB flash drive for that. I think the portable HDD would be cheaper.

I've not done an image of a clean install (just the OS). Always after drivers and updates, so I not sure what my size of the image would be...mainly when I remember to do it...lol.

Too late now.
I had moved the pre-update1 image backup files to another location, and did a new post-update1 backup to the ext. hdd.
Thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't want to use a Flash Drive for a System Image Backup because of the relative speed difference between it and an external USB 3.0 hard drive.....

Unable to use flash drive for image backu.
See screenshots. ................
G: is my flash drive.
Image 2.png

Image 1.png

Most of my system images are 80 - 100 gigs...l.

Really? My biggest image is 39GB (Win 8 OS + programs). Maybe your image contains data/files as well. Mine is pure OS and programs only.

This is my backup hard drive containing mostly images:

image.jpg

davidhk, 32GB is probably not enough space for your image that's why it's invalid.

Badrobot: that's probably right...I just did an image of everything and not just the OS. I will do so and see what happens.

Badrobot: that's probably right...I just did an image of everything and not just the OS. I will do so and see what happens.

Yeah. I have all my library folder locations mapped to another internal hard drive so that my files get saved automatically on separate hard drives.

library.jpg

Back