Windows 7 system image restore error 0x80042407

automagp68

I am trying to restore a bran new install of win 7 with a sytem image created previously before a hardware failure.
The machine is a lenov think center
Clean install installed and the image is about 70 gig

It is house on a 1tb external drive
The internal drive on the machine is 160gb
I get to the restore screen it finds the image then gives me the first error
Says you must boot the machine for a recovery disk then try again
Ok so i stuck my usb stick in and started up it, clicked repair my computer , found the image, and started it again
Now it throws the 80042407 error.
Active disk in Bios is to small.

How is that possible. The image is 70 gig the hard drive is 160 gb? Please help!

Thanks

The image needs enough space to accommodate the entire partitioned space as the drive the image was made from. If you are using the same size drive, it should work, but if it is smaller it might not.

Basically, the 70 G number doesn't mean that much.

The original Drive that was imaged was a 320 gig drive.

The drive it is going on is a 160

so your telling me that even thought there is not 320 gig worth of data it won't work?
That i can't put 70 gig of image onto a 320 gig drive?

Is that correct?

The original Drive that was imaged was a 320 gig drive.

The drive it is going on is a 160

so your telling me that even thought there is not 320 gig worth of data it won't work?
That i can't put 70 gig of image onto a 320 gig drive?

Is that correct?
If the partitioned space (includes all partitions, not just the imaged one) on the original drive is close to or greater than 160 GB, it will not restore.

Are you trying to install an SSD? If so, you should be able to use something like Acronis to image the original drive and restore it to a smaller drive, or only have less than 160 GB partitioned space on the drive before you image.

Back
Top Bottom