Windows 7 System Maintenance to the rescue!

Commander_Cool

Hi,

okay, so after booting my PC earlier today Windows System Maintenance started up without prompting and after a while had this to say:

Attempt repairs of disk volume errors
Reboot computer to repair volume problems such as bad sectors, lost clusters, cross-linked files, and directory errors.

in the next screen it says:

Restart computer and begin repairs to bad sectors, lost clusters, cross-linked files, and directory errors. Correcting such errors will allow Windows to accurately report volume information and will free up disk space.

okay, so there are problems that System Maintenance has found, okay. Got it. But not a word as to how I go about reparing these errors, just a very facile 'restart and begin repairs'.

So I assumed that CHKDSK or some other low-level utlity would automatically start on reboot but it didn't.

Sure, I can run CHKDSK manually with the appropriate switches as I have been using computers since DOS 2.0 and am comfortable in the command-line environment, but how about people that aren't?

And what's the point of a utility telling you there is a problem but not how to fix it?

I have probably missed something and would be grateful for a pointer. Thanks.

I would agree that if the message was from Windows that chkdsk should have started up.

It also might sound like one of the third party virus fixit messages.

Do you show anythng in the Action Center, or Event Viewer?

You don't have Process Explorer installed by any chance?

You could also start an administrative command prompt and type fsutil dirty query C: which should tell you if the C: partition has the dirty bit set meaning it is set to start Chkdsk.

You also might, in the same window, use this command.

fsutil repair query C:

Which will tell you the state of Self Healing. If it shows a flag of 0x08, then it might just be set to warn you about problems.

Last edited:
Hi Saltgrass,

third-party fixit? I thought so too for a second, because I had just tried Tuneup Utilities, and it does these kinds of things. A graphic interface for built-in system processes that can be better run from the command line it seems to me.

But I had scrapped TU a few hours before this because of its incessant nagging about how there was only 29 days left and I had to hurry to register etc.

This kind of nagging has the opposite effect on me to what I think was intended - I eradicate it, but good, using Revo. Good riddance.

I don't recall anything from the Action Center. I am kind of insensitized to messages from it as it pops up from time to time, urging me to turn on the UAC and to let Windows Update install updates automatically - I like to take care of these things myself, thanks anyway.

No Process Explorer installed. Should I? Is it useful? I hadn't heard of it, but I'll try it.

Thanks also for the fsutil tip. You say: "it might just be set to warn you about problems."

Fine, but does it also perform or recommend a cure? I would guess so as the syntax is fsutil repair not fsutil query.

Thanks for the leads Saltgrass, always a pleasure and insightful to talk to you.

Best wishes!
EnsignScrulu small.jpg

Don't know what you are using for security but, would not hurt to run Malwarebytes www.malwarebytes.org & as Admin in cmd sfc /scannow

Cheers,
Drew
Thanks Drew, I use AVG Free cheapskate that I am, I think it does a great job for the money.

That's for realtime protection; when I know I've been infected I boot off a Kaspersky Rescue Disk. That never fails to root out the weeds.

Between these two I'm good. But I'll surely give Malwarebytes a go, like you say it 'can't hoit'.

Greetz
EnsignScrulu small.jpg

This is not meant as arguing... MSE is FREE, is better than AVG, fully automated (or not, customizable), does both a-v & a-m & constantly monitors & fixes or removes bad things it hits, w/out any prompting.

Oh, too, I suggest using MBSA 2.2 to analyize machines... terrific tool!! Download: Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer 2.2 (for IT Professionals) - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

MSE & Malwarebytes is really all most non-enterprise folks need. Keeps my clients & myself w/ healthy puters :D

Cheers,
Drew

Right, I'll surely give MSE a fling - better safe than sorry. Ditto for MBSA - being the frustrated, would-be sysadmin that I am I dote on utilities that really do something; that take a firm and competent grip on the system so to speak.

Thanks Drew, all the best.
Grin mindre.jpg

Oh, Drew, while I have your attention may I ask a graphics/hardware-related question? It has nothing to do with the previous discussion but is something that is pressing on my little mind.

Let me know.

Thanks. I continue to use the ancient Paint Shop Pro 7 as I learned it thouroughly back in the previous millennium and it does most things I want easily and is easy on system resources to boot.

But recently the thumbnails crash to the point where it's hard to see what they depict while full screen view looks fine.

The attached .jpg shows a few examples.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled it - same difference and I'm stumped so any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• PSP crash.jpg
    PSP crash.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 403
No Process Explorer installed. Should I? Is it useful? I hadn't heard of it, but I'll try it.

Thanks also for the fsutil tip. You say: "it might just be set to warn you about problems."

Fine, but does it also perform or recommend a cure? I would guess so as the syntax is fsutil repair not fsutil query.

Thanks for the leads Saltgrass, always a pleasure and insightful to talk to you.

Best wishes!
View attachment 17165
Process Explorer from SysInternals, a Microsoft division, has a way to show what process is controlling an open window. If you use it, there is a small target looking icon. You can drag that to the message window and it should highlight which process is involved. After download, make sure you go to properties of the Zip file and unblock it.

Your system is always repairing itself. It is called Self Healing and runs on most drives, but can be turned off or set differently. If you run the utility and it shows 0x08 for a flag, then it is set to just notify, since it is normally 0x01. Since I do not know exactly how it works, I was thinking possibly you had gotten more corruption that the background utility could handle so it changed to a notify mode, but just guessing. If you type in the utility in stages, it gives you further options. So the commands I referenced are correct.

Back