Windows 7 Taskbar functionality problems on new install on dual Xeon server

busaboyz

A Win 7 install on an old server has got me flummoxed. I cannot get the taskbar to function properly. I have tried every trick I have found Googling and none have fixed the problem. I have reloaded the OS twice since the original install and same problems reappear. Once as a Win 7 "upgrade" keeping all my files and lastly as a full HD wipe and a fresh install. The original install used the on-board 8 MB video and same problems occurred. I hoped a new video card would fix the problem. I have loaded all the various versions of windows on different machines and have never seen this issue. I have run every software and hardware system integrity check I know and nothing is found. All my programs seems to function fine.

Problem:

If you open and close a program, the icon in the taskbar gets "stuck" and will not go away. If you put a shortcut on the taskbar, it functions on the first mouse click to open. After closing, the icon in the taskbar again gets "stuck" and will not go away. It does not open again unless you to press Shift on the keyboard and then mouse click on the icon. If you open a large number of programs or any task that puts and icons on the taskbar will quickly clutter the taskbar with icons both with and without graphics. There can be no active program, process or task and the taskbar be full of "ghost" icons. Only a reboot or killing and reloading explorer.exe will make the taskbar look normal until you open a program and the whole process continues. I use a bat file to automate the process. I tried deleting the IconCache.db file multiple times but no luck. I would like to know what process controls the taskbar and where the present state is stored.

Odd behavior:

I have been using the same few Gadgets for years on dozens of machines without an issue. One of them, Network Meter seems to respond slower than normal to a click to activate Settings. Even if I kill all Gadgets the taskbar problems persist. For a short time after a fresh install the taskbar seems to work properly after a large number of update. I then reloaded my Gadgets and it appears that the taskbar issue came back.

Hardware:

Win 7 pro loaded on old Tyan dual 32 bit Xeon server with only PCI-X and PCI slots with 4 GB of RAM, 250 MB HD, Nvidia 256MB PCI graphics, Soundblaster PCI audio and NEC USB PCI cards.

Attachments

• Taskbar issues.jpg
    Taskbar issues.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 287
Hi,
apologies as it looks like your post was missed. Do you still require help or do you have the issue resolved?

Yes I know MS killed Gadgets but I've been using the same Gadgets for years. They are running on a dozen different PCs around my house with no issues, Vista, Win 7 etc. I've done a complete fresh install of 7 including a disk wipe and the problem occurs before the Gadgets are even loaded on the HD. It's some strange hardware/driver issue I cannot identify. I have another similar ancient Tyan dual Xeon MB with Win 7 running with zero issues. I wish I knew more how the taskbar is controlled.

I've wasted too much time on a basically worthless MB to build yet again another PC I don't need. It's just got me stumped and I don't like it. ;-)

Ran SCF and chkdsk. No errors found. Event viewer shows a number of errors but not a lot of info on what caused them. Some apps like Wmplayer freeze after a few seconds but most seem to work OK.

Attachments

• Event Viewer.jpg
    Event Viewer.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 319
I have run the machine off a live distro of mini XP and it seems to work fine. I'm going to test a live distro of Linux Mint and see how it goes.

Last edited:
So it could possibly be something else your running? If you do pop Windows 7 on again ( could it be the install disk?) and the same occurrs see if you can remove the icon by deleting it from here:
C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

I've loaded Win 7 three times with two different disks I burned. I confirmed the SHA1 of the original ISO and the resultant DVD. I have used the same ISO before on another dual Xeon PC without issue. I've put tried two different PCI video cards, ATI and Nvidia, first in a PCI-X slot and then in a PCI slot. The taskbar problem never goes away. It does not occur using mini-XP on Hiren's boot CD. Wmplayer freezes after a few seconds. Youtube has issues running full screen mode for videos. It seems to be some strange hardware issue.

Last edited:
Gave up and installed Ubuntu 12.04.5. Seems to be working fine. PC will go back in the closet since I really don't like Linux.....

Damn... I'm sorry i can't be more help.. If I come across something similar or a light bulb blinks on above my head I'll certainly post back.

Final follow up. Put on XP and PC ran fine. Unit originally had Server 2000. No idea why Win 7 won't work....

Hmm... I did wonder if there was a compatibility issue but in any case it sounds like you've solved the problem. Much thanks for updating your thread.

I know you said you had win 7 running on a similar motherboard without issue, how does that system differ to the one which won't run 7? Also could you list the actual motherboard simply to add some detail to the picture.

One unit has a Tyan Thunder i7505 S2665 dual Xeon MB for workstations. It originally ran Win XP and has had Win 7 for 6 months. No issues.

The problem child is a Tyan Tiger i7501 S2723 dual Xeon MB for servers. It was running Server 2000 for a decade. For whatever reason Win 7 will not run properly. There is some strange HW compatibility issue that causes video issues regardless if one uses the ancient on-board video or two different PCI cards. The last Linux Distro installed was Peppermint and it ran fine but I detest the hassles of living day-day with Linux. I just loaded XP Pro SP3 and it runs fine. I did not have to load any drivers other than for the audio card. It boots and runs fast. For a while I thought maybe the problem was the low throughput of the PCI buss for the video card versus AGP or PCIe but Win XP works fine.

I have close to 20 different PCs currently running the various Win operating systems, 2000, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. I installed the OS's on most of them. I've never had one be this much of a PITA. I just wish I knew why it won't run Win 7. It just pisses me off.....

The i7505 is the younger board (I'm guessing) and probably why it runs win 7 but as to which component it is which is making the difference between the two I'm unsure

Back
Top Bottom