Windows 8 Temp account login problem in Windows 8

farragut

I have a problem with Windows 8. This morning when I went to check my ASUS Zenbook laptop, the PC wouldn't access the network, even tho I could see our home network was working. I did a hard reboot and returned several minutes later to find I had been logged in under a temp password and all the desktop files I had were in the trashcan. Here's the error message that popped up in the lower right of the task bar:

"You've been signed in with a temp profile. You can't access your files, and files created in this profile will be deleted when you sign out. To fix this, sign out and try signing in later. Please see the event log for details or contact your system admin."

When I try logging out and then back in, I get the same problem. One other note: During the login procedure, this text appears in the bottom right of the screen:

"Windows Update. Your PC will restart in 2 days to finish installing important updates."

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Use this tutorial :
http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/
It shows you how to go to Safe Mode in Windows 8 and 8.1
Go over the tutorial once before you start.
In that tutorial, you will see an option to do System Restore.
Try that route first. Pick a good date when you did not have this problem as your restore point.
After it is done, find out if you can login to your admin account in Normal mode.

Please post back the result before I continue.
If that does not work for you, then we'll have to continue with the tutorial and go to Safe Mode with Command prompt.

The first message is not too clearly worded.
It should imply that it will give you two days to restart and, if you have not done that, it will force a restart,

Have you actually tried to restart?
I am guessing that the reason you could not access the network, was because some updates were being downloaded and taking priority. Those would be the reason for requesting a restart.
I could well be wrong, but I think that accessing safety mode would exacerbate the problem

Thx to both of you for replying. I'm in the process of restarting, but it's been cycling with a blank screen (other than the Asus animation balls continuing to chase each other in a circle) for the last 15 minutes. How long should it take before I elect to do a hard reboot?

Thx to both of you for replying. I'm in the process of restarting, but it's been cycling with a blank screen (other than the Asus animation balls continuing to chase each other in a circle) for the last 15 minutes. How long should it take before I elect to do a hard reboot?

15 min seems to be too long.
You could a bit longer if you wish.

Should you finally decide to do a hard reboot..................
after you have done that, please try this method :
It is to enable the Built-in Admin account and then, use the Built-in admin to create a new admin account like the one you failed to login.
Then, see if you can login to the new admin.

Here is how.....
when you are at the win 8 desktop, press Win logo key + X key together > at the popup box, select Command Prompt (admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy and paste this command line.....
net user administrator /active:yes
press Enter > exit command prompt.
Can you do the above, so far ? If yes, please continue.....

Left click at Start > select switch users > login to the Built-in Admin ( it has no password, just click Enter at the password box)
From the Built-in Admin account, create a new admin account like the one you failed to login.
Switch users.
Can you login to the new admin account?

Last edited:
According to MS. If it is the initial batch of updates, and they are all on automatic, it could take up to an hour - your choice?

ok, waited for one hour and change, then gave it a hard reboot. Upon reboot, I'm still being signed in on a temp profile. I guess the next step is to create another profile and copy everything to that, then delete the old profile? Or, would you advise something else?

I don't know whom you are addressing to.
You have my suggestions posted above.
You are actually ahead of me. My idea is ... yes, create a new admin account, transfer everything to this new account > then delete the one you failed to login.
Do you know how to do the files transfer?
If yes, then I am done with this thread.
Good luck.

One last suggestion.
When dust is settled, run a system file check. It is to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any corrupt files are found.
If you don't know how to do that............assuming you are on a new admin in normal mode.
press Win logo key + X key> select Command prompt (admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this command line......
sfc /scannow
press Enter.
Wait. It will take quite a while.
At the end it will give you a report. It will say either ( paraphrasing )...
No integrity violation
Found corrupt files and repair is successfull
Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

Last edited:
Thx, David. I opted to do a System Restore and upon clicking that option, the screen went blank and it's been that way for approx 2.5 hours. No evidence of any disk activity based on the disk light, but I don't know if this is 'normal'. If the Restore doesn't work, I'll follow your suggestions above.

Thx, David. I opted to do a System Restore and upon clicking that option, the screen went blank and it's been that way for approx 2.5 hours. No evidence of any disk activity based on the disk light, but I don't know if this is 'normal'. If the Restore doesn't work, I'll follow your suggestions above.

A slight change of procedures......
After you have enabled the Built-in Admin account, use it to run the system file check first. Procedures are the same as I posted.
After the sfc /scannow is done, see what the report says.
If it says it has successfully repaired corrupt files, see if you can login to you admin account in normal mode.
If you still can't, then login to the Built-in Admin again and create a new admin account.

David, any idea how long it takes for a System Restore to complete? it's been approx 5 hours now and still no sign of activity from my PC.

Abort system restore.
Enable the Built-in Admin account > then do a system file check
If system file check says it has found corrupt files and it has repaired them successfully, then try to login to your current admin account in normal mode.
If you still cannot login to your current admin account, then log in to the Built-in Admin again, and use it to create a new admin account.
Then see if you can log into the new admin.

To enable Built-in Admin account.............
when you are at the win 8 desktop, press Win logo key + X key together > at the popup box, select Command Prompt (admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy and paste this command line.....
net user administrator /active:yes
press Enter > it will tell you if the admin is enabled successfully > exit command prompt.

To log in to Built-in Admin account.............
Bottom left > click the Start icon > click the pointer next to Shut Down > click Switch User > select the Built-in Admin account which is the one that says "Administrator" in the box.It has no password, so just press Enter at the password box. It will prepare the desktop and then let you in. You are now in Built-in Admin Account.

To create a new admin account by using the Built-in Admin..........
You do know how to do this, do you?

OK, the admin is enabled successfully. However, at the next step, there's no Start icon showing on my task bar. where else may I find it?

On the left I have the IE, Folders, and Chrome icons. On the right, I have the usual assortment of Action Center, Battery, WiFi, Speakers, Keyboard, and Time/Date icons.

Press the CTRL+ALT+DEL keys at the same time > then select Switch User
Image 3.png

Back