Terrible wireless speed.

Chucktin

Yuck! While I'm waiting to get the house network drops installed I turned on wireless. OH MY GAWD. I think a slug is slowe6 buy I'm not sure.
Can someone point me to tweaking the wireless settings so's I can at least get at least a reasonable wireless speed.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Yuck! While I'm waiting to get the house network drops installed I turned on wireless. OH MY GAWD. I think a slug is slowe6 buy I'm not sure.
Can someone point me to tweaking the wireless settings so's I can at least get at least a reasonable wireless speed.

It would be useful to get details of the setup you have.

Chucktin

How much detail? ISP is Spectrum. One coax cable from interface to spitter then DVR. Short coax from splitter to cable modem, ARISS, then short run to LinkSys AC 4000 Router (ours). Everything else is wireless at the moment.
My windows 10 desktop and laptop are on the far side of the house, maybe 40/50 feet away. Wife has AT&T iPhone, I have Android Pixel 4a.

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
There isn't a lot of tweaking you can do for wireless. The best way to improve quality and signal strength is by getting more hardware such as a repeater, you can also check the router settings and see if you can increate the power output on the antennas or if it has external antennas you can look at buying a directional antenna such as a yagi which then you can point toward the far side of the house.

Chucktin

I checked and firmware is up to date, st least it's the latest and greatest on the LinkSys website.
And internet spasmed 3 times today that I know of.

WindowsPro

How much detail? ISP is Spectrum. One coax cable from interface to spitter then DVR. Short coax from splitter to cable modem, ARISS, then short run to LinkSys AC 4000 Router (ours). Everything else is wireless at the moment.
My windows 10 desktop and laptop are on the far side of the house, maybe 40/50 feet away. Wife has AT&T iPhone, I have Android Pixel 4a.

Have you checked the lights on the arris modem during your internet spasms?

Have you checked the lights on your router during your internet spasms?
This is to try to find out if any of these malfunctions!

Chucktin

Hmm good idea! And no, I hadn't thought of that. I was keeping a log. I'll have to add that to date and time I was recording.

Spirit Wolfe

Honorable Member
Is your coax line coming into the house amplified? Mine needed to be and I had to have them (meaning Xfinity Comcast) a passive amplifier because I needed to amplify my signal for my televisions ... not my broadband. Maybe you have too much "white noise" (signal too strong going to your modem) on the coax supplying your modem?

I had WiFi issues. I use a DOCSIS 3.1 Arris SURFboard broadband modem I bought on Amazon (this modem is a straight modem no WiFi). I used this modem with a TP-LINK (dealer's choice on what you are comfortable using for manufacturers; I like TP-Link for the price & rugged devices) WiFi Router -- WiFi off -- with the TP-Link Deco 3-piece Mesh network that I also got on Amazon. Depending upon how big your house is you can run a CAT-6 cable from your modem to one of the Deco Mesh devices and/or (if needed) to the others or use them wirelessly, spread out enough to get the signal where you need it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Spirit Wolfe

Honorable Member
I used to use a DOCSIS 3.0 Arris SURFboard, but it bit the dust and I replaced it wit the DOCSIS 3.1 which was well worth it! BTW...

Also, if you are thinking about adding new components to your network think about updating just your main "trunk line" ethernet cables. Like the one from your Arris Broadband Modem to your router's WAN port to CAT-6 or higher. This way you can get the 1GB throughput to the rest of your network. Especially if you are going to use a Mesh network.

I have a post WWII home with 4-foot thick concrete basement walls (complete with rock mixed in) and my main network connections reside in the basement. This TP-Link Deco Mesh network gets me download speeds of 346.5 Mbps & upload speeds of 11.4 Mbps, on the average throughout my house, even in the basement.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bochane

Fantastic Member
Is the whole network is slow, any connected computer, or is it just that only computer?
Can you check the speed of the incoming cable? Try doing a speedtest with one computer being connected with a cable.

Chucktin

I had Spectrum techs out to the house 4 times since we moved in. Last time a Charter Comm. Supervisor was one of the crew. Everything they checked was 100% but Spectrum internet quit today at noon while my wife was on a Zoom conference. Bummer!

Chucktin

Spectrum blinks off, if not everyday, then every other. And it isn't just me neighbors complain as well.

bochane

Fantastic Member
If they dont find it, you will have to find. See also answer #4
Have you and your neighbours the problem at the same time?
If so, check the cable speed during it. If it is too low someone else connected to it may misusing it. Tell Spectrum.

bochane

Fantastic Member
You also could try downloading and installing a network analyser app. With it you can watch the signal strengh and whether you are sharing your network channel with other wifi networks, in which case you are sharing bandwith.
Hope you find some clue.

Last edited:

Chucktin

Thanks. Glad my life does not revolve around internet I use it "enough" as it is.