Windows 8 Test driving windows 8 and then returning to windows 7

Dick

I have a new HP envy 700 with windows 7 pro with the following build sheet
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4770 processor quad-core [3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
8GB DDR3-1600MHz [1 DIMM ]
1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
Intel HD Graphics [DVI-D

I wanted to try using windows 8.1 on my new windows 7 pro desktop. Based on what I have read, I am not sure if I will like it. I have an OEM full version 8.1 with key and would like to install it on the new desktop. If I end up not liking the new windows 8.1 I would like to be able to go back to the original factory setup.
I had planned to make an image of the original system, windows 7, on an external hard drive which I could use to reinstall the original windows 7 pro system if I decided that I did not like the new windows 8.1
Another possible option would be to remove the original hard drive and replace with a new sata drive and then install the windows 8.1 on that drive. I am not sure if I would be able to re insert the original windows 7 hard drive in the event that I did not like the new windows 8.1

I am open to and would welcome any suggestions to achieve what I am trying to do. One thing I am not sure of is how the drivers would react.

Thanks

Another possible option would be to remove the original hard drive and replace with a new sata drive and then install the windows 8.1 on that drive. I am not sure if I would be able to re insert the original windows 7 hard drive in the event that I did not like the new windows 8.1

That is the best way. Get another hard drive. You can switch between the 2 without problem. You can even leave both hard drive installed in your PC and just choose at start up which hard drive to boot from. That's what I do. I boot up from any of the 2 SSDs on my PC running Win 7 and 8. I just pull out the SSD tray that I don't want to boot up with.

IMAG3209.jpg

That is the best way. Get another hard drive. You can switch between the 2 without problem. You can even leave both hard drive installed in your PC and just choose at start up which hard drive to boot from. That's what I do. I boot up from any of the 2 SSDs on my PC running Win 7 and 8. I just pull out the SSD tray that I don't want to boot up with.

View attachment 27290

That is the option I was thinking about. Are there any changes to the motherboard or the BIOS that would make it difficult to go back to windows 7

I am not very sure but I think the BIOS setting is only needed if you are coming from Win 8 down to Win 7 (compatibility support module or CSM is required to downgrade to Win 7). In my case, I didn't have to do any change in BIOS settings to run Windows 8. I just popped in the hard drive and Win 8 installer. That's it. I hope someone else could verify that here. I also have an HP with UEFI disabled by default. But if you just go ahead and try, it won't harm your system in any way. Just make sure the Win 7 hard drive is disconnected.

Btw, before you start the installation, go to HP support website first and download all the drivers for your hardware compatible with Windows 8.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/pfinder?tmp_product=HP ENVY 700&tmp_qt=driver download&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=5371495&tmp_searchExperience=0#N51

Last edited:
I am not very sure but I think the BIOS setting is only needed if you are coming from Win 8 down to Win 7 (compatibility support module or CSM is required to downgrade to Win 7). In my case, I didn't have to do any change in BIOS settings to run Windows 8. I just popped in the hard drive and Win 8 installer. That's it. I hope someone else could verify that here. I also have an HP with UEFI disabled by default. But if you just go ahead and try, it won't harm your system in any way. Just make sure the Win 7 hard drive is disconnected.

Btw, before you start the installation, go to HP support website first and download all the drivers for your hardware compatible with Windows 8.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/pfinder?tmp_product=HP ENVY 700&tmp_qt=driver download&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=5371495&tmp_searchExperience=0#N51

I know windows 8 will load and run just fine on the desktop. My concern is going back to windows 7 pro. I will be using 2 different hard drives. When I install windows 8 it will be on a new wiped hard drive. Once I decide which operating system I like best that is the one that will stay in the desktop. I will also make a backup image of each install just for peace of mind. Where do I get the CSM?

Thanks for all your help

I know windows 8 will load and run just fine on the desktop. My concern is going back to windows 7 pro. I will be using 2 different hard drives. When I install windows 8 it will be on a new wiped hard drive. Once I decide which operating system I like best that is the one that will stay in the desktop. I will also make a backup image of each install just for peace of mind. Where do I get the CSM?

Thanks for all your help
If you don't like the Win 8, just swap the drives back again. you don't have to do anything. Windows 7 and it's drivers are intact in its original hard drive. As I said, you can switch between the 2 OSes anytime without having to worry about anything. You don't need the CSM. Your PC is already running Win 7. You only need the CSM if your PC originally came with Windows 8.

Edit:
Btw, CSM isn't something that you download. It's a feature in UEFI system that you need to enable to make a Windows 8 PC compatible with Windows 7. You don't have to worry about this.

Last edited:
If you don't like the Win 8, just swap the drives back again. you don't have to do anything. Windows 7 and it's drivers are intact in its original hard drive. As I said, you can switch between the 2 OSes anytime without having to worry about anything. You don't need the CSM. Your PC is already running Win 7. You only need the CSM if your PC originally came with Windows 8.

Edit:
Btw, CSM isn't something that you download. It's a feature in UEFI system that you need to enable to make a Windows 8 PC compatible with Windows 7. You don't have to worry about this.

Sounds like a plan! I will not be doing the new windows install until late next week. I will post and let you know how things went.
Thanks for the help

Edit:

I forgot to ask, but what kind of power supply do you use to run 4 desktops????

I don't run 4 desktops, just 4 monitors. My graphics card only requires 350watts power supply. I have 475watts power supply installed. I am running both the on-board video card and a PCIe graphics card at the same time but only 1 is plugged in to the on-board (the left-most monitor).

Edit:
BTW, this is not a gaming rig. It's not a very powerful PC (i5 CPU). I just do a lot of stuff at the same time. One monitor is also hooked up to a PS3 and another on TV Tuner but all 4 can be used at the same on the PC. (3-24" and 1-19" monitors).

Last edited:
Back