Windows 7 the ordinal 96 could not be located

jyeagley3

Extraordinary Member
I installed Uniblue Registry Booster (paid for it!) and each time I run it I get the following error message 3 times during the scan: "the ordinal 96 could not be located in the dynamic link library SHELL32.dll"
I have never, ever gotten this message before in Windows 7 or any other Windows. Uniblue's solution is for me to go to : Link Removed - Invalid URL and repair Windows 7. This doesn't appear to be an option for me since I downloaded and upgrade from Microsoft and have no disk. I'm not sure I'd do it anyhow. Seems suspicious that this error just appeared.
Anyone familiar with this? It seems to have absolutely no effect on whatever I'm doing on the PC
Thanks for any help
Jerry

I don't have the time to look at the attached pdf right now, but have you tried simply reinstalling the application? Just download the trial and activate with your product key you received at the time of purchase.

I don't have the time to look at the attached pdf right now, but have you tried simply reinstalling the application? Just download the trial and activate with your product key you received at the time of purchase.

Their first suggestion, and what I did, follow to the letter:
What I would ike you to do is to perform a clean reinstallation. Below is a step by step procedure to uninstall any Uniblue program:
1. First please close the program.
Check whether it's still running in the background, in which case you should see the program's icon in the system tray next to the system clock.
Right click on this icon and choose Exit.

2. Goto Start -> Control Panel -> Add / Remove Programs
(In case of Vista or Windows 7 : Start button -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features)

3. Locate the entry for the Uniblue program in the list of installed applications
4. Click once on this entry and then click the button 'Remove'
5. When prompted if you want to remove this application click 'Yes'
This will initiate the uninstallation wizard which will remove the program from your computer.
Having uninstalled the program, the next step is to delete any remaining application data. To do so, kindly follow these steps:
6. Go to Start, type in the following in the run box (or search box in case of Windows Vista and Windows 7), and press Enter:
%appdata%
You should find a Uniblue folder in here. Please manually delete the sub-folder within it for the program you want to remove.
7. Then go to the following folder: C:\Program Files\Uniblue
And manually delete the sub-folder within it for the program you want to remove.

Having done the above, you can re-download the program from the following link:
http://www.uniblue.com/support/downloads/
Remembering where you downloaded the program to, double click on the file in order to re-install the program, taking care to enter the registration information correctly (if asked).

Same error still occurs
Thanks for the nearly immediate response!!
Jerry

A dll file is a collection of dynamic link runtime routines and the one uniblue is looking for would seem not to exist in your version of shell32.dll. You can download a legal MS approved copy of Windows 7 Repair disk from the link below - burn the image to a dvd, boot from it and run the repair to see if that solves your problem. If not, I'd go back to Uniblue and tell them the ball is firmly in their court and if they can't offer you proper product support then you require a refund of the purchase price.

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/download-windows-vista-x64-recovery-disc/

A dll file is a collection of dynamic link runtime routines and the one uniblue is looking for would seem not to exist in your version of shell32.dll. You can download a legal MS approved copy of Windows 7 Repair disk from the link below - burn the image to a dvd, boot from it and run the repair to see if that solves your problem. If not, I'd go back to Uniblue and tell them the ball is firmly in their court and if they can't offer you proper product support then you require a refund of the purchase price.

Download: Windows Vista x64 Recovery Disc — The NeoSmart Files

Great, I'll download and burn. One question that I have and am afraid of the answer. Will I need to reinstall all of my software programs and backup from my exteral drive after the repair?

Thanks alot for all you have helped, I'll go download now
Jerry

Great, I'll download and burn. One question that I have and am afraid of the answer. Will I need to reinstall all of my software programs and backup from my exteral drive after the repair?

Thanks alot for all you have helped, I'll go download now
Jerry

I just noticed the link says Vista x64 and I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium. Will this work?

No - the good news is that a repair will not make any changes to installed apps.

I installed Uniblue Registry Booster (paid for it!) and each time I run it I get the following error message 3 times during the scan: "the ordinal 96 could not be located in the dynamic link library SHELL32.dll"
I have never, ever gotten this message before in Windows 7 or any other Windows. Uniblue's solution is for me to go to : Link Removed - Invalid URL and repair Windows 7. This doesn't appear to be an option for me since I downloaded and upgrade from Microsoft and have no disk. I'm not sure I'd do it anyhow. Seems suspicious that this error just appeared.
Anyone familiar with this? It seems to have absolutely no effect on whatever I'm doing on the PC
Thanks for any help
Jerry

With your 7 installation DVD in drive, Start -> cmd -> sfc /scannow, it'll take time so wait for the operation to complete.

^^ You can perform that command via Command Prompt within Windows.
Download Windows 7 System Recovery Discs — The NeoSmart Files
There's the direct link for the Windows 7 repair discs, to avoid further confusion.

Okay. Now I'm totally confused, fatigued, desperate, and others. When I started the process of downloading the files from the above link I was told that 1st I'd need to install ImageBurn. Well, their download page is just a little confusing so I mistakenly downloaded and installed Express Burn or something like that. OK, no harm no foul. Finally found ImgBurn, downloaded and installed it..this is good. Now I have Img Burn open, utorrent.exe downloaded but not installed, and Windows 7 64-bit Repair Disc.torrent downloaded but not installed or open. I have absolutely no idea where to go from here.
I'm not looking for sympathy (although I need some) but I'm a 61 year old very medium ability computer user. If I have to run 3 files to install or burn 1 repair disk, I fear my facilities will overload.
You guys have been totally GREAT working with me and if you want to just drop this and leave it where it is, I'll understand.
I will not play with this stuff without positive direction for I fear I'll lose the use of my computer. Some of the stuff is just too delicate. I did print off the directions for using ImgBurn and there's pictures and all. I believe I could follow this but I don't know where to go from where I am.
Thanks
Jerry

No problem. You now have the .torrent file which contains the instructions to tell uTorrent how to download the file which you will be be burning so you now need to:

1. Install uTorrent to download the file
2. Double click on the .torrent file you downloaded

This will start uTorrent and start your download of the image you need

It will take some time as it is quite big. Once downloaded you will be using imgburn to create a bootable dvd from your downloaded torrent.

Hopw that clarifies things a bit for you.

No problem. You now have the .torrent file which contains the instructions to tell uTorrent how to download the file which you will be be burning so you now need to:

It will take some time as it is quite big. Once downloaded you will be using imgburn to create a bootable dvd from your downloaded torrent.

Just exactly what I needed. Great and thanks so much.
Jerry

Just exactly what I needed. Great and thanks so much.
Jerry

You are just a great instructor. I managed to get the disc burned (although the file that looks like a disc went to the downloads folder), shut down, booted to the disc, ran the tests and it found, I think 3 boot errors, created a new boot, and rebooted into Windows normally. I have already uninstalled Registry Booster and got a refund so I won't know if it corrected that or not, but it did find and correct 3 problems.

These Forums are so, so helpful to guys like me and it's because of guys like you!
Thanks so much
Jerry

You are just a great instructor. I managed to get the disc burned (although the file that looks like a disc went to the downloads folder), shut down, booted to the disc, ran the tests and it found, I think 3 boot errors, created a new boot, and rebooted into Windows normally. I have already uninstalled Registry Booster and got a refund so I won't know if it corrected that or not, but it did find and correct 3 problems.

These Forums are so, so helpful to guys like me and it's because of guys like you!
Thanks so much
Jerry

Very kind of you to leave such feedback - glad you've made progress (and learned a few new bits and pieces in the process).
Regards,
Pat

Thanks for the positive feedback - reputation for your co-operation.
Thanks for using the Windows 7 Forums, see ya around :)

Back