Windows 7 the requested operation requires elevation error

st19

I have a think pad w510 laptop that had recently been upgraded to win 7 enterprise. Every time i install something or change a setting, it asks me to allow the program then to type a username/password. After that i get an annoying error saying " the requested operation requires elevation".

does that mean that i typed my username/password incorrectly or am i not an administrator?
I can change the uac settings because it will not prompt me or allow me to do so.

Hi

I like most people here have turned off the UAC, it makes things a lot easier.

If it won't let you do so the way you are currently logged in try logging in as administrator via the command prompt.
Then it will let you do pretty much anything.

Howto Enable the Administrator Account

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Open thecommand prompt with elevated privileges by clicking the Startorb, All Programs, Accessories, right-click CommandPrompt and then select Run as administrator.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Type orcut and paste… [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]netuser administrator /active:yes[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]and thenpress Enter.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Log outand log back in as Administrator.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]When youare done undue the process by doing the same thing and pasting in [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]netuser administrator /active:no

You should also look at your user account set up.

Go to Control Panel and type User Accounts in the search bar and make sure that your account has all the privileges.
I'd give you more details but I'm writhing this from Windows 8 and it seems to be a bit different in how this is done.

But the User Security stuff in Windows 7 is the most annoying part of the program until you get it all set right.

Mike[/FONT]

Are you running as a Standard User (non-admin)? If you are, you need to put in the Admin password. But on my system, where I am the only user, all I do is click a box to allow.

What do you show as your UAC setting now?

Back