Windows 7 The user name or password is incorrect

tdr123

I have tried install Windows 7 RC1 three times now without success. Each time I try to log in for the first time I get the message "the user name or password is incorrect". After this happened the first time I reinstalled and chose a different user name and password (and product key), but got the same message trying to log in. I thought it was a problem with the download from the Microsoft website but have since had the same problem with an install from a magazine cover disk (with another product key).

I'm worried that if I buy the release version in October I'll have the same problem. Can anybody please tell me what's going wrong?

Thanks

During the installation, you must ut in a username to continue, towards the end of the install process. The install will not continue without it, so your username must be correct. Therefore, I would suggest you try again with the install but leave the password empty. I do not have an answer, but it seems that it is misreading your chosen password. Also, it is not necessary to put in the key at tah stage. You have 30 days for it.

Last edited:
I have tried install Windows 7 RC1 three times now without success. Each time I try to log in for the first time I get the message "the user name or password is incorrect". After this happened the first time I reinstalled and chose a different user name and password (and product key), but got the same message trying to log in. I thought it was a problem with the download from the Microsoft website but have since had the same problem with an install from a magazine cover disk (with another product key).

I'm worried that if I buy the release version in October I'll have the same problem. Can anybody please tell me what's going wrong?

Thanks

It sounds like you just have the wrong activation key.. Check your pm's :)

Same problem

"I have tried install Windows 7 RC1 three times now without success. Each time I try to log in for the first time I get the message "the user name or password is incorrect". After this happened the first time I reinstalled and chose a different user name and password (and product key), but got the same message trying to log in. I thought it was a problem with the download from the Microsoft website but have since had the same problem with an install from a magazine cover disk (with another product key)."

I have the same problem. I have reinstalled 3 times. I have tried with no password, and with simple password, and long on that can't be for gotten or miss typed. aaa

I haven't had a chance to put in the product key, and it automatically tells me my password is incorrect, before it reboots.

Any ideas?

Is there a windows 7 default username/password?

Login failure

I've also run into the problem of trying to login immediately after installation. :confused: The installation itself went beautifully, but now I'm stuck. I reinstalled, and faced the same brick wall. :mad: The username and password are absolutely correct, but I can't get past the error messages to login to my new PC....

Problem resolved

Thanks for your reply cappuccinoholic. I hope that, like me, you've had this problem with the RC1 installation, and not the full release version. Having had the problem repeatedly with the RC1, I somewhat blindly purchased the full release (Home Premium) and have installed it without any problems, having made no changes to my PC's hardware or configuration.

If you're wondering if it's worth the purchase, I say yes, completely. Why we have to fork out all this cash for what's essentially a patch for their previous OS, Vista, is beyond me, especially when you consider that the latest release of Mac's Leopard OS costs less than 40 Australian dollars. I still say go and get Windows 7, and enjoy.

Thanks to the others who have responded to my thread. I hope my result helps you too.

Last edited:
Is anyone using a user name with a space in it? Seems I rememer this being accepted although it will cause problems. To the best of my knowledge No spaces are allowed

Back