Windows 7 This copy of windows is not genuine

djworza

I have installed W7 Professional with a Dell OEM CD that came with a Dell Optiplex PC, on a clone PC, as the Dell ended up with a burned up Main Board and was scrapped. It worked fine for a while and I now get the message "This copy of Windows is not Genuine". Do I have to buy a new copy of W7? If I do, can I just run a repair on the current version with the new copy of W7? I don't want to loose my setup! What do I get if I make it Genuine online? I want to buy what is right and am afraid that if I do the online thing and have to reload the system, I'll be in the same boat.

Hello and welcome

There are a few reasons this error message can come up

Ok is the version actually genuine?

It is genuine, but it came with a Dell PC...OEM version. I think thats the problem. I'm willing to buy another copy, but want to make sure I can fix the problem without loosing my W7 setup as it is running now.

Does the "Clone PC" have it's own separate COA and product key (OEM) if so then I would say yes to reusing the media, the EULA does not actually apply directly to the Media CD/DVD but rather to its' content the OS. You may not legally use the COA / Product Key from one OEM license to install onto another computer.

I agree. I will buy whatever I need to buy. What I am asking is what to buy. The Windows window that pops up will let me make the copy that is installed genuine will charge the cost of W7. No problem with that. But what will I get and what if I have to reload the OS later? Will I have the same issue. If I buy W7 new CD can I repair what I have or do I have to start from scratch?

Microsoft implemented tecniques in order to prevent people from using the version of windows or manipulated in many ways.

New pc - new key

by "cloning " the hard drive you are in theory obtaining access to windows on a serpate machine that is already activated on another. As per the great post by Randy, make sure its a serpate key. which means buying windows the correct way

As stated 3 times now, I have no problem buying W7. I need to know what it will do to my current installation as I don't want to loose everything already installed and how I have W7 configured. Has any one made their copy of windows genuine by following the prompts and doing this online? What happens if I need to reload in the future.

As stated 3 times now, I have no problem buying W7. I need to know what it will do to my current installation as I don't want to loose everything already installed and how I have W7 configured. Has any one made their copy of windows genuine by following the prompts and doing this online? What happens if I need to reload in the future.

If you buy a retail whatever edition of Windows 7 you'll be able to use the new key to activate your machine. So if the edition is Home Premium go for a HP retail box and the key will work fine on your current install. Hope that helps :) When you've obtained your new key you could open and admin cmd prompt and type slmgr -ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx (this being your new key) and then type activate in the start menu to activate with the new key.

Last edited:
You should not need to reinstall Win 7 or any of your apps and customizations. You should be able to enter the newly purchased key and activate it.
  1. Click on Start and then Control Panel.
    Tip: In a hurry? Type system in the search box after clicking Start. Choose System under theControl Panel heading from the list of results and then skip to Step 4.
  2. Click on the System and Security link.
    Note: If you're viewing the Small icons or Large icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.
  3. Click on the System link.
  4. In the Windows activation area of the Systemwindow, you'll see the status of your Windows 7 activation and your Product ID number.
    Note: The Product ID is not the same as your product key. To display your product key, you can use any product key finder app such as System Information for Windows (just do a Google search with SIW)
  5. Next to the Product ID, you should see a Change product key link. Click on this link to start the process of changing your Windows 7 product key.
  6. When the Windows Activation window appears, enter your new product key in theProduct Key: text box.
    Click Next to continue.
  7. Wait on the Activating Windows... message until the progress bar is complete. Windows 7 is communicating with Microsoft to make sure that your product key is valid and to reactivate Windows 7.
  8. The Activation was successful message will appear after your product key has been validated and Windows 7 has been activated.
  9. That's all there is to it! Your Windows 7 product key has been changed.
    Click Close to close this window. You can now also close the Control Panel System window.

Last edited:
I won't get into this discussion of what's legal and what's not.
That's not my area of expertise, (I'm a technician, not a lawyer), but......

What I do want to suggest is that when you've resolved your "Legal" questions, make a full backup of your C: partition to either DVD's or to an external hard drive, to circumvent any problems you might have further down the road.

I mention this because you touched on the question of "what do I do if I have to reload my system"? (or something like that)
I always suggest that everyone, make a backup of their system, after the initial install and setup of their software, email, etc.

That will trump a factory re-install disk every time.

I'm constantly adding software and removing software from my own system, so I do a Ghost Backup Image file of my C: drive every week.

Good Luck,
:cool:

Thanks to all. I picked up a copy of W7 Professional 32 bit (What the OEM CD was) and will try the activation routine tomorrow.

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom