Windows 7 This Is Going To Be Fun

8N1949

Okay, here goes. I have a HP Pavilion p6750f with Windows 7 64-bit due tomorrow. My old HP Pavilion 775e with XP Home is connected to a D-Link EBR 2310 wired router to a Motorola SB5100 modem. Now the questions. I want to switch to a "wireless" router. NOTE: The new p6750f PC has..Wireless LAN 802. 11b/g/n networking connectivity. I will buy a Linksey or Netgear wireless router, but, what other equipment or devices do I need to get up and running? Do I need to buy a USB wireless adapter to mate with the wireless router? Give me the lowdown here.

Thanks in advance for the wonderful help.

Okay, here goes. I have a HP Pavilion p6750f with Windows 7 64-bit due tomorrow. My old HP Pavilion 775e with XP Home is connected to a D-Link EBR 2310 wired router to a Motorola SB5100 modem. Now the questions. I want to switch to a "wireless" router. NOTE: The new p6750f PC has..Wireless LAN 802. 11b/g/n networking connectivity. I will buy a Linksey or Netgear wireless router, but, what other equipment or devices do I need to get up and running? Do I need to buy a USB wireless adapter to mate with the wireless router? Give me the lowdown here.

Thanks in advance for the wonderful help.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Short answer is, nothing. The new router should provide your wireless access for the new computer as well as commonly four wired switch ports to support the old XP machine. Unless you want to go completely wireless then you would either need a wireless PCI card or as you suggest a wireless USB wireless dongle. So placement and the length of the cable run (100 meters Cat 5 UTP) would be the only thing you need to consider.
Getting them to communicate with each other can be a minor issue. Try to avoid any software that might come with the new router and see how it works out of the box. Consult the documentation that come with it or online documentation to see how to access the new router's interface through your browser. Set up your wireless security using WPA. Make the workgroup names the same on both, the machine names unique on both and if at all possible the same username and password should make things easier.
If you run into any problems, post back your issues here and we'll see what we can do to help.
Regards
Randy

Back
Top Bottom