Windows 7 To Defrag or Not To Defrag

seekermeister

Honorable Member
Anytime I create a backup with True Image, and then analyze it with O&O Defrag, it always shows the entire backup as being fragmented. I have always let it remain that way, because long ago I asked about this somewhere (can't remember now), and was told it was better not to defrag it. However, since some things change, and advise is not always the best, I want to ask again....defrag or not?

Nope.
One of the best way to insure a corrupt .tib file is to defrag it a couple times. Just leave it alone and make sure that the drive that hosts your .tib files is not automatically scheduled through the Windows Defrag Service.

If that is the best way to corrupt a .tib, then what is a worse way? :) Guess I was given the right advise in the first place. It's just always bothers me to see all those red squares in O&O.

If you're just talking about backups that are stored somewhere else..NO....Trouble is correct and gave me the same advice. Otherwise, defragging your normal HDD's is fine. However, defragging SSD drives is also not recommended.

If you're just talking about backups that are stored somewhere else..NO....Trouble is correct and gave me the same advice. Otherwise, defragging your normal HDD's is fine. However, defragging SSD drives is also not recommended.
Somehow your response seems a bit confusing. Where my .tib files are stored is on a hdd...Can't imagine storing them anywhere else, other than on a CD/DVD. Which is something I no longer do, because too often, something would go wrong. You say that Trouble is correct, yet at the same time, say that defragging a HDD is fine. Is it, or isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom