Windows 7 Transfer Outlook Address Book to Win7

Neal Carron

I recently transferred files from my old WinXP computer to a new Windows 7 machine using Windows Easy Transfer.
My Outlook personal folders transferred nicely from Outlook 2003 on the old machine to Outlook 2007 on the new one, and were correctly setup.
However my address book appears to have transferred but did not setup in Outlook 2007.

How do I set up my Address Book in Outlook 2007 on my new machine?

(On the new machine, clicking on the Address Book button brings up an empty screen.
Trying to search for a name gives the error msg: "The search cannot be completed. You must have an address list to search in. If you don't have an address list, contact your Microsoft Exchange administrator".)

(I tried displaying Contacts in the Navigation pane. It shows a contacts folder which contains all of my contacts. To make it the address book, one should right click it, select Properties, and then select the tab "Outlook Address Book". There one can select "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book". However in my case, that selection is greyed out and is inactive.)

- Neal

Last edited:
1 Open 2003 go to file import export
2 Select export to a file
3 Select personal folder pst
4 Select personal folders
5 Save exported file as select a location (a Usb thumb drive is good location) and name it .
Then basically repeat these steps to import you personal folders
except you import from another program or file then select pst and point it at where you save your pst file and then follow instructions

Making a contacts folder an Address Book

Thanks, but I got that far already. That's not the problem.
I've got the contacts folder, Contacts1.pst .
Now I need to have it be the Address Book, or one of the lists available in the Address book.
As I said, the standard way of doing that doesn't work:
You select the contacts folder, right click it and select Properties. One of the tabs in the menu that opens is "Outlook Address Book". On it you can check "Show this folder as an email Address Book". But in my case that choice is shaded out and is inactive. So I can't get the contacts to be an Address Book. That is the problem.
How do I set up my contacts folder as an Address Book?
- Neal

1 Open 2003 go to file import export
2 Select export to a file
3 Select personal folder pst
4 Select personal folders
5 Save exported file as select a location (a Usb thumb drive is good location) and name it .
Then basically repeat these steps to import you personal folders
except you import from another program or file then select pst and point it at where you save your pst file and then follow instructions

Have to tried importing everything which would include you contacts by importing the whole personal folder including sub-folders make sure that is checked

The entire personal folder with all subfolders is correctly in Outlook 2007 on my new computer.
I didn't really export it and import it. As I said, I transferred all files from the WinXP machine to the new Win7 one using "Windows Easy Transfer". All my data files (not just in Outlook) got transferred and located on the new machine correctly. The only problem is that my Outlook Address Book itself did not transfer correctly (but the underlying contacts folder did). So I'm still stuck trying to build the Address Book from the contacts folder.

<< Have to tried importing everything which would include you contacts by importing the whole personal folder including sub-folders make sure that is checked >>

Last edited:
Back