Windows 8 Trouble doing a clean install of Windows 8.1 with ISO Disc

Hello there,

I have a Lenovo G50-45 and I recently did a clean install of Windows 8.1 (32-bit). Had a lot of trouble tracking down all the drivers, since I discovered most driver compatibility was for the 64-bit of Windows 8.1. Now I am trying to do a new clean install of Windows 8.1 64-bit.

My steps: Under the Update and Recovery section in Settings, I am selecting the "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" option to do a clean install using a DVD Windows 8.1 64-bit ISO. When I try to put the DVD in, I receive an error message saying that the media is not valid. I have tried with two other Windows ISO DVD's (which were Windows 7 32 and 64 bit DVD's). I am sure that all these media cds work, because they have been used in the recent past to do clean installs on other laptops. Don't feel like burning another ISO file and wasting another DVD.

HOWEVER, there is a fourth Windows ISO DVD that DOES work. It is the Windows 8.1 32-bit ISO that I originally did a clean install with for this laptop. Is there a reason why Windows will only accept this CD as Valid Media, and not the other ones? Again, I am trying to do a reinstall to change the version of Windows, it won't read the CD's. Any idea why this happens?

If possible, can I delete an operating system altogether and try doing a clean install?

Any information would be appreciated, as I have very little knowledge about these issues. Thank you!

Lenovo G50-45 and I recently did a clean install of Windows 8.1 (32-bit). Had a lot of trouble tracking down all the drivers
Hi Keith,
Laptop drivers are almost always supplied by the lappies manufacturer ( apart from some gpu drivers), using versions from other vendors will usually cause a bsod.
Here's the support page:
http://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/pro...ort:Drivers and Software|Drivers and Software

If you can download your drivers before doing the clean install and store them somewhere safe like on a usb drive. It just makes life so much easier if you have them already.

My steps: Under the Update and Recovery section in Settings, I am selecting the "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" option to do a clean install using a DVD Windows 8.1 64-bit ISO. When I try to put the DVD in, I receive an error message saying that the media is not valid.
This isn't the correct way to perform a 'clean install' . When you choose that option 'remove everything and re-install windows' that is basically a 'reset' .

To perform a true clean install one needs to enter the bios and change the boot order so that whatever windows media is being used (disk or USB) comes first in the boot order.
As the machine boots watch for the prompt 'press any key to install from disk' or words to that effect. If you miss this prompt windows will start up normally and you'll have to try again.
This guide may help: A Complete Tutorial on Changing the Boot Order in BIOS
During the install set up phase you'll be asked where you want to install Windows and it's here you can totally wipe the drive although I'd make sure you don't lose any partitions containing windows. These are used by the machine to return to a factory like state and if you feel it's not needed simply remove.

Thank you so much for the much needed clarification! I was able to do the clean install of Windows 8.1 64-bit. In the process of reinstalling the drivers right now directly from the Lenovo Support site.

Much appreciation for the knowledge and expertise!

Hi Keith,
hey that's great! Hopefully it's plain sailing from here but if any problems do occur please post back.. :)

Back
Top Bottom