Windows 7 trouble getting on internet with Win7

kkay

I decided to use OpenDNS on my new laptop, which is Win7. Open DNS ran fine on the desktop XP. All was fine, but then I closed the browser after changing over to the Open DNS configuration. Then I could not browse anymore. So I realized after a while that the anti-virus, and the firewall could update. I think it was just an extremely slow connection, after the problems I've had since then. I took Open DNS off, and put the old settings back. Still I had trouble. So I decided it was not the Open DNS causing the problems, so I put it back on. Since then it has taken anywhere from 9-18 minutes to actually browse. I am showing that I am connected after start up. Then it is 9-18 minutes before the browser will actually load a web page. I have checked my settings, they are fine. After I do connect, the speed is fine, and connection stays on...until I restart. Then I go through this all over again. I tried connecting with no firewall, still the same thing, tried connecting turning off the av...same thing. I called my ISP, but since the desktop XP works, they will not help me unless I pay for a second tier tech to handle it. I don't have the money to get that type of help, just bought this computer, and have had vehicle work done...so no extra cash at all. I would love to get some help on this./:)
I guess I should add that I am connected with a modem, and no router. I have no tried yet to get a connection via wi-fi yet. The modem is not wireless.
Addition...I tried nslookup and typed in just the numbers instead of the name of the url, and it worked fine. I started the computer this evening, and it said I had no internet connection even though I had the ethernet cord plugged into the computer. It finally came on and said connected, but then it took twenty minutes to load the browser page. After it is loaded, there is no trouble. I have tried going to internet explorer, internet options, connections, lan....then have automatically detect settings ticked, then tried it without it ticked...it still acts about the same.

Last edited:
kkay:
Hello and welcome to the forums. Sorry your post has been neglected.
Temporarily remove Open DNS, and third party firewalls Comodo, ZoneAlarm, etc., remove any third party internet security suites.
Attempting to disable any such software is often fruitless and provides no real diagnostic value. You need to uninstall them often using a proprietary uninstaller provided by the software vendor to get rid of all remnants of the products. Consider installing Link Removed due to 404 Error as a substitute and using the Windows Firewall alone for the time being.
Look for any third party software like the bonjour service which can be installed as part of Itunes, or any of a number of other software products like Adobe CS3 and CS4, use the services console, type services.msc into the search box and hit enter. Look for an unusual string value at the top of the services console something like ##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B8 79762 ## if present double click and stop it and set the startup type to disabled. Also Bonjour, same thing.
When the problem is present launch a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all
examine the ip addressing information that is present and associated with the adapter you are having trouble with to determine if it's accurate as it applies to your network. You can use the XP machine that is working to provide you with a template as to what it should be showing.
Make sure the drivers for your network adapter are the latest and most current from the adapter manufacturer's website as well as look to the router manufacturer's site to see if there are any firmware updates that apply to your specific model number and rev.#.

You mean I have to take off my paid version of Online Armor? I will look over what you said and do it when I can. Thank you so much for offering to help me. I have been beside myself with this stuff. Pretty bad when you have a new computer, and can't even connect for 20 minutes to the dang internet.

Removing any of these type programs is to advance the diagnostic process and doesn't represent anything more difficult than reinstalling them onces the issue has been resolved. Often we've seen these types of programs and even remnants of these products produce similar issues, that's why the drastic steps. And just as often, once the issue is resolved and everything is working properly a reinstallation of the program does not seem to result in any further issue. I can only speculate that that is because they are aware of the existing infrastructure at the time of their installation and do not take any measures to impact what is working and only monitor new changes from that point on. Just a guess.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the comments. When I can I will work on it.

Welcome to the forum :)

I setup OpenDNS on a lot of clients computer AND networks.
An easy solution could very well be to set-it-up on your entire network as opposed to just your PC.

Have you ensured you have entered the DNS servers correctly in your configuation?
The two name servers are:

Yes, I entered them correctly. I do not have a network set up. Thanks for the reply. I have a desktop that everyone uses. I do not want the computers connected. I will be getting a wireless router in a few months when I can afford it. I was told the best thing to do is go back to factory settings, just start all over. If I end up doing that, I will not put Open DNS on there again. I am using it on the desktop with no troubles at all, but this is an XP.

Welcome to the forum :)

I setup OpenDNS on a lot of clients computer AND networks.
An easy solution could very well be to set-it-up on your entire network as opposed to just your PC.

Have you ensured you have entered the DNS servers correctly in your configuation?
The two name servers are:

I uninstalled my firewall. I took Open DNS off. I shut down, and restarted. It took about 7 minutes to connect this time. I still have my ESET Nod 32, and Malwarebytes on though. Also I have Spywareblaster. I also have Registry Mechanic. Someone told me at Best Buy that Registry Mechanic causes more problems, and I should uninstall it. I hate that because it is another paid program I have. I have a program installed called Stream Armor. I rarely use it, but it has shown me a bit worth having. I tried to find a way to uninstall it, but I could not see how to do so. Any other ideas on this? I sure would have to wipe the whole computer and start again.

Not sure if you have tried it already or not, but if not try booting the machine into safemode with networking by using the F8 key while the machine is posting and selecting it from the advanced boot options menu using the arrow and enter keys. See if the problem persists.
Also if you would like we could take a look at your system information utility for you to see if anyone can spot a problem in there.
Type msinfo32 into the search box and hit enter. From the file menu choose save. Save it where ever you want, zip it up and attach it to your next post.

I think I attached this alright. I will know in a minute.

Attachments

• msconfig save.zip
    66.9 KB · Views: 271
Not sure if you have tried it already or not, but if not try booting the machine into safemode with networking by using the F8 key while the machine is posting and selecting it from the advanced boot options menu using the arrow and enter keys. See if the problem persists.
Also if you would like we could take a look at your system information utility for you to see if anyone can spot a problem in there.
Type msinfo32 into the search box and hit enter. From the file menu choose save. Save it where ever you want, zip it up and attach it to your next post.

I know how to use F8, and go into safe mode. I will look at the thing you talk about, if I can see it, then get back to you on that. Thanks for the quick reply. I sure wasn't expecting one. Great surprise.

I tried the safe mode with networking, it did not help. I shut down, and restarted...this time it took 9 minutes to load the browser. At least it is better than it was...it was getting to be 20 plus minutes.

I uninstalled Carbonite. It did not help. It took 33 minutes to connect this time. I was beginning to wonder if it would come on at all.

Try resetting your router to default settings and/or updating the firmware.

A little trick that Trouble like to have people do and actually fixes things at times, is to set the adapter to half duplex speed in the device manager properties.

I actually needed to do that for my PS3 years ago as it was the only way to get it to stream videos smooth without pauses.

Last edited:
Try resetting your router to default settings and/or updating the firmware.

A little trick that Trouble like to have people do and actually fixes things at times, is to set the adapter to half duplex speed in the device manager properties.

I actually needed to do that for my PS3 years ago as it was the only way to get it to stream videos smooth without pauses.

I do not know how to do that. Could you give me directions on that?

Back
Top Bottom