Windows 7 trouble getting on internet with Win7

As best I can tell from your system info file, your ethernet adapter (Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet) is using an old driver. K57nd60a.sys version 12.4.1.0 dated 4/12/2010 which I suspect should be updated to version 14.2.0.7 dated 7/30/2010 give that a try and see if it helps at all.
Broadcom.com - Ethernet NIC NetLink Driver Downloads
The other thing that TG was talking about is manually setting the speed and duplex to something other than autonegotiation which you may still need to do, since some gig cards for some reasons can't autonegotiate with some switch ports on some routers. So...
Type ncpa.cpl into the search box and hit enter
select then right click on your ethernet adapter and choose properties
click the configure button near the top right of the properties dialog box
select the advanced tab and look for something called speed and duplex, may say something like link speed and or duplex mode anyway select that in the left column and then in the right column hit the drop down and choose 100 half
OK your way back out of there and reboot.
100 half is just a fall back speed and duplex, your network may very well support 100 full or 1000 half or full, it just might not be able to autonegotiate so setting it manually often helps. So start with 100 half and then if you would like experiment with other settings.

I see one for 8-6-10 for a Win7 64bit update. 14.2.0.7a....I hope this is the one you are talking about. The previous update mentioned is for XP, not Win7. I downloaded the file. I have not clicked on it yet. I extracted the file. There were 3 files. K57nda60.sys I believe is the right one to use. But it wants to open it with something, I don't know what.

Last edited:
Just open device manager, expand network adapter, select then right click the broadcom ethernet adapter and choose update driver software, then, browse my computer, then let me pick, then have disk, then browse to the location of the .inf file. The 8-6-10 date is just their reference date, I beleive that the actual date of the k57nda60.sys is the date I noted above.

I just noticed that even though I saved the file from WIN 7 64bit, it says VISTA in the file name. I am afraid there is a mistake here. Should I just trust what they have in the file?

I think I installed it correctly. I am going to do a total shutdown and restart it, and see if it worked.

Well I put in the updated driver. I opened the browser,and it started right up. I thought my problems were solved. So I shut down, and brought it back up. When I did that I could get no network access at all. I tried going to the 100 half setting, and that did not help a bit. I waited to see if the access would open up and work, but it did not. So I then just rolled back the driver. When I tried to open browser, it did not work. So I then restarted and tried to get online. Still no internet access. I flushed dns just for the heck of it, I cleared cache, restarted again. Still no access. I shut modem down and restarted, still no access. I restarted again, no access. Finally I just let it be like that for a while, and for some reason the access showed connected. I was to the point of saying to heck with it. I put the 100 half setting back to auto. I decided to wait to see if any of this made sense. I guess it is looking more and more like I will have to wipe the hard drive and start over. What do you think?

I'm not sure if we covered it or not but have you tried a different browser like chrome just to make sure that the issue is not a problem with IE8

Evidently you can produce this problem at will by simply rebooting your machine. So can you please examine the IP addressing scheme that your computer has when the problem is present?
Type ipconfig /all into a command prompt and make a note or copy and paste the information into notepad. The IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS server addresses.
And then again when the problem is not present.
Probably reversing the order assuming everything is working fine now, then force the problem and compare the two. Just to see if the issue is with the computer being able to obtain the correct information from the router

I checked it when it was running fine, and loaded. Then I checked it when it had not yet loaded the browser right. The info was the same. The connection was faster today, only took about 8 minutes to load the first time. When I restarted, the connection said not connected. I then just let it stay that way. I copied the info. Then went away for a few minutes. When I got back it was connected.

Well if you don't have any other ideas, I will have to go back to factory settings. Just let me know, thanks.

Sorry, but I really can't think of anything else at this time. I still can't help but suspect that there is still a piece of software that's causing the problem and preventing everything from coming online in a timely fashion but only you can ultimately determine what that might be.
If as you have said, you are receiving all the required IP addressing information even when the problem is present, then attempt to determine if you can ping anything outside your network during that time.
Try pinging 64.233.169.99
and then www.google.com
open the browser and paste this into the url address bar
and hit enter to determine if the issue is name resolution

There was no difference between using numbers, or typing in the url by name. I guess I will try uninstalling my anti-virus program.

I finally decided to just go back to factory settings. The browser will now connect super fast. While updating Windows, and installing AV program, my mouse quit working. Sometimes computers are very annoying. This is a brand new mouse...oh well. Two steps forward, one step back. I just wanted to say thanks, and this should not be considered an open issue anymore. The connection is good.

So glad to hear that you were able to resolve your issue. Sorry that it required drastic measures but still in all some lessons are best learned the hard way. I hope that you have configured Windows Update to not download drivers for your hardware devices in the future as well as configuring the system restore feature so that you can create a system restore point before any major software changes. A third consideration might be a good imaging program so you will always have a good fall back position. The mouse issue could be practically anything depending on what type of mouse it is and how it connects to the computer. If you want to chase it down you might consider starting another post, there is a lot of excellent help to be found in our hardware forum. Anyway, thanks so much for the follow-up and we hope to continue to see you around the forums.

I already posted a thread about the mouse. I had placed a system restore point on my computer after the av and firewall, and all updates were done. Before I decided to go back to factory settings, I decided to try to use a restore point. The one I mentioned previously was not there. I found out that system restore points are deleted after a while to save disk space. I could not restore back to a time before all these problems started after I installed OPEN DNS. That is when all this began. I set the Windows Update to let me know when updates are available, but not download or install unless I gave the okay. Before I had it set to download automatically. When I first got this computer, the Windows program found a driver that worked for my mouse right off the bat with no problems. I do not know a thing about an imaging program really. I will look that up later. Thanks so much for the help. Yes, this was a rough,long, drawn out process. I will not be installing Open DNS on this computer anymore.

Regarding imaging software for backing up your computer, here is a link to some commercial software offerings Disk Imaging Software Review 2011 - TopTenREVIEWS
I'm a big fan of Acronis True Image, while other members seem to like Norton Ghost and others, examine the features available and see which one best fits your needs. If you decide on a commercial option make sure you shop around often you will find savings to be had on these products from large online retailers like NewEgg and Amazon.
Other members have had good things to say regarding free options such as Clonezilla and Easeus .
Again check the software's individual feature sets. Some will work from inside Windows while others may require the OS to be offline and for you to boot to a CD to accomplish the imaging. Some support mounting and exploring the image file which allows you to see what you have and even to recover individual files from the image, while other will not.
Thanks again for the additional follow-up and good luck with the mouse issue.
Randy

Thank you trouble, I will explore that. It is too bad that a simple thing like going to Open DNS can mess up everything for you. But, now I know it can. I learned a lot on this thread. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom