Windows 7 trouble with BOTH 32 and 64 bit discs on XP

benneh

for christmas i got windows 7 home premium with 32 and 64bit discs inside, they both say upgrade on the disc but inside the box it says i can upgrade from XP

when i insert the 64bit disc, it brings up an error telling me my pc isnt compatible, i dont know why that is since im running a quad core and want to do a fresh install

and when i insert the 32bit disc, NOTHING happens, the disc drive just WONT read it at all, i can hear it making a noise every few seconds and i think its somthing moving, its basically trying to read the disc, and yet i know the disc works because i upgraded my laptop from vista to win 7 using the 32 bit disc

any help would be greatly appreciated as i NEED win 7 on this machine big time, and i asked for it for christmas so i could upgrade my pc, i dont want it to be a waste :(

for christmas i got windows 7 home premium with 32 and 64bit discs inside, they both say upgrade on the disc but inside the box it says i can upgrade from XP

when i insert the 64bit disc, it brings up an error telling me my pc isnt compatible, i dont know why that is since im running a quad core and want to do a fresh install

and when i insert the 32bit disc, NOTHING happens, the disc drive just WONT read it at all, i can hear it making a noise every few seconds and i think its somthing moving, its basically trying to read the disc, and yet i know the disc works because i upgraded my laptop from vista to win 7 using the 32 bit disc

any help would be greatly appreciated as i NEED win 7 on this machine big time, and i asked for it for christmas so i could upgrade my pc, i dont want it to be a waste :(

The info in the box is totally wrong.... you can't directly upgrade from XP. (You have to upgrade XP -> Vista -> Win7 and that method is not foolproof either.) Assuming that you are having problems booting to both disks in your DVD drive, IMHO you have a defective DVD drive. If you can borrow a USB DVD drive and boot to that, that should verify what appears to be the obvious. Another option is a bootable usb memory stick. (See posts in this forum on how to create/install with that.)

You can't upgrade from xp to 7. You have to do a clean install. This will wipe you disk clean. Put the disk in and reboot, select custom install.

Back
Top Bottom