Windows 10 Trouble with Windows 10 update 1803

Dale Bunce

I need help, I have W10 installed Update 1709 and have not had any problems with updates until 1803 came out the update from Hell. It has downloaded 32 times and every time it failed. I contacted Microsoft Desk and they told me that I needed to do a clean install. I went and backed up everything and when I started the clean install I ran into the next problem. It told me Windows can not be installed on this disk. Disk has MBR Partition Table. EFI window systems only install GPT disks. I then was told that MBR2GPT tool was in W10 1709 which is on the PC now. I also found software AOMEI partition that will also convert a MBR disk to GPT. It sure is funny that it has updated 4 other times with no problem.
My Disk has 4 partitions now 1. System 100MB Free 63MB
2. OS 448GB Free 245GB
3. OEM 450MB Free 65MB
4. HP Rec 65GB Free 15GB
I have concerns as I have never done this before and I am wondering what happens and if after it is converted will it be combatible with computer and windows. I was wondering if you convert maybe I then would be able to install update 1803 instead of clean install.

If you're doing a clean install you can just wipe out the existing partitions. You also need to enable EFI boot in BIOS(UEFI) if it's set to legacy boot. I'd backup any data you have first as removing the partitions will make the data inaccessible.

Enabling EFI booting will be different for different computers so you'd need to look at your computer manufacturer manual or motherboard manual.

Removing the partitions can be done from the Windows installer. When asked select Custom: Install Windows. When presented with your disk and current partitions you select each one and click delete. Then proceed with the install it should auto create partitions.

How to you enable EFI boot? How do you wipe out the existing partitions?

I can help you in real time for free if you want. Just need to find the best way to communicate directly.
What is your computer model?

If the firmware is UEFI and the disks in the bios are set to raid or ahci, efi booting will be enabled. To clean the dis, boot the windows installation media, once in press shift and F10 and you'll get a command prompt. In there do diskpart, then list disk, then select disk 0 or whatever disk it is and then do clean. It'll wipe all partions from the drive. Then exit out and reboot the machine back to the installer and install windows. It'll create the partitions it needs for you.

Hope this helps

Rich

Back
Top Bottom