Troubles with my hard drive

GeneralRac

Hello, I sorry if this is in the wrong section but im having trouble with my hard drive. I run a TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB hard drive. It seems to be working fine a lot of the time. But I've been experiencing that I cant play games such as Don't starve together while playing with somebody or Roblox. It seems other games that don't require downloading things from the internet work fine. Just when I try to load things such as a map that I don't already have downloaded it seems to just take forever and lag awfully.
1535956788769.png

Hi,

to check that the HDD is ok:

Look for command prompt in the start menu, right click on it and choose 'run as administrator'.Type:

chkdsk /r

Press enter and you'll probably need to reboot to initiate the scan. This scan will check for and if possible repair broken sectors.

If your only experiencing issues when accessing the Internet then you probably need to update your network drivers.

Or:

You may have either a bug (virus/malware) or need to really clean the system. Both of these apps are free and may help in this instance:

Ccleaner (cleans system)

Malwarebytes (scans for malware)

chkdsk/r did nothing, and Ccleaner and Malwarebytes did nothing. I actually did a total wipe of my hard drive and reinstall of windows a couple weeks ago and installed nothing from untrustworthy sites. Updating my network drives did nothing. My drive was acting like this before I reinstalled. And it seems to start acting like this out of nowhere. Do I just have to get a new hard drive? Is there anything else I can still do?

Do I just have to get a new hard drive? Is there anything else I can still do?

Launch Task Manager (to monitor HDD usage by every process) and then try again to play those games that make your hard disk slow in order to identify which process uses most of your HDD. Maybe you can find something relevant.

What makes you believe it is the HDD rather than not enough RAM or weak processor? Did you read which are the minimum hardware requirements for those video games?

chkdsk/r did nothing, and Ccleaner and Malwarebytes did nothing. I actually did a total wipe of my hard drive and reinstall of windows a couple weeks ago and installed nothing from untrustworthy sites. Updating my network drives did nothing. My drive was acting like this before I reinstalled. And it seems to start acting like this out of nowhere. Do I just have to get a new hard drive? Is there anything else I can still do?
Try checking the drive using Seatools (which works for most drives):
https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/

Launch Task Manager (to monitor HDD usage by every process) and then try again to play those games that make your hard disk slow in order to identify which process uses most of your HDD. Maybe you can find something relevant.

What makes you believe it is the HDD rather than not enough RAM or weak processor? Did you read which are the minimum hardware requirements for those video games?

It's definitely not my other hardware, I run a 4.2 GHz i7 7700k processor with 8GB of ram. The game I am running requires 1 GB ram and a 1.7+ GHz or better. And it isn't framerate lag, it's network lag.

It's definitely not my other hardware, I run a 4.2 GHz i7 7700k processor with 8GB of ram. The game I am running requires 1 GB ram and a 1.7+ GHz or better. And it isn't framerate lag, it's network lag.

OK.
Have you tried to do this:
Launch Task Manager (to monitor HDD usage by every process) and play those games that make your hard disk slow. Maybe you can find something relevant.

.....It seems other games that don't require downloading things from the internet work fine. Just when I try to load things such as a map that I don't already have downloaded it seems to just take forever and lag awfully. ..
Isn't your disk waiting for the internet download to complete? A slow internet, an overloaded server? Start with testing your internet speed. Download some other file (don't run it trow it righ away in the dustbin) from whatever place and see if that performs wel.

Hope it helps

So, I've done the google internet test. 0.25 download, then I did it again, and I got the same. Then I did it another time and got 45.6 mb download. Then down, and up, repeat.

Than I think your problem is caused by an overloaded server of the game you are playing.
There nothing I can think of to solve that.
Sorry

I wasn't playing the game, I was just doing an internet test.
And by the way, it isn't with my hard drive anymore.

Last edited:
......It seems to be working fine a lot of the time. But I've been experiencing that I cant play games such as Don't starve together while playing with somebody or Roblox. It seems other games that don't require downloading things from the internet work fine.....

I understood from the above that you that your internet speed was too slow for a game?
That is why I asked you to test it. The server of whatever you was downloading is the possible cause of your problem if the speed test seems OK.
Please explain.

Well again, I'm using googles speed test. And it's either way too low or very high. It's unpredictable. It seems that at night it acts the worst.

Back