Windows 7 True Image Sync

seekermeister

Honorable Member
I just used the folder sync function of TI to move a few hundred video files from one drive to another, it worked as expected except that when checking the target drive after completion, it was highly fragmented, and it looks as though it is going to take many hours for defragging.

I only used TI for this purpose once before, but it didn't have this problem then. I want something with the convenience that TI would have without the defragging, so I don't have to search through ~3000 videos manually to accomplish this purpose. Thus I either need some idea of how to prevent TI from causing this problem, or a recommendation for a program that works better for this purpose...any ideas?

I rather fancy the fragmentation existed on your drive before running the TI Sync and TI has simply assigned the fragmented space. I think you would only avoid such a problem by running a defrag before the sync.

I will admit that I didn't check the drive for fragmentation just prior to the sync, but every time that I have added files to the drive in the past, I did check it afterward and found nothing unusual. Since the drive is a dedicated video archive, the files in it remain pretty static, even when a file is being played, therefore I see no reason to explain the state of fragmentation now, because the location that the files were placed was in a very large area, equaling about 1/3 of the space occupied by all of the files, and the new files only occupied about 1/2 of that space (this free space is located prior to the occupied space). Even if for no reason that I understand, the free space already existed prior to the sync, all of the new files are heavily fragmented, which shouldn't have occurred since they had an unobstructed space available.

Last edited:
The algorithms involved in file handling systems can be very complex and it is some years now since I was involved in system software design at that level but I can quite easily conceive of circumstances in which fragmentation will inevitably occur (such as provision for fixed storage allocations, simultaneous transfers and so on). As and aside (which may or may not have some relevance) I have also observed that many defrag programs often fail to end up with all free space as one single area of contiguous allocation units which I had always thought of as the ultimate objective of defrag. Such a situation can only increase the likelihood of fragmentation quickly recurring. Despite such mysteries I would have thought that a defrag run prior to syncing would likely give better results.

I use O&O Defrag, which as you mentioned doesn't consolidate free space, unless you manually set it to do so. Even with consolidation selected, it usually doesn't eliminate all free space in some sectors, but what it misses is somewhat negligible. still that bit of scattered free space does still permit some fragmentation, depending on what is looking for disk space in which to dwell.

My basic order of operations for running TI is CCleaner, defrag, TI. I've never investigated the pros and cons of running TI without, it just feels intuitively right.

That seems like a good practice, but I generally prefer to do what CCleaner does manually, at least I've not gotten into the habit of using it. However your mention of it caused me to check for the latest version (4.20), which I began to install, but was stopped by the barrage of adware it attempted to install with it, even Kaspersky blocked it. Despite them calling it version 4.20, the install wizard called it version 3.20, so I checked my archive and found version 3.15 and installed it without any problems. It seems ironic that a program that calls itself Crap Cleaner, now tries hard to load you with a bunch of crap.

In addition to the steps that you follow, I often delete all shadow copies, which since they add a lot of locked system files, which often are fragmented, I find it desirable to eliminate them. If I get more serious, I will do the same with the hibernation file.

These are steps that I follow for defragging. I never considered it too much for running TI, because I use a scheduled incremental backup scheme, and it seems that whatever I might get rid of initially would be added anyway during one of the incremental stages.

Last edited:
That seems like a good practice, but I generally prefer to do what CCleaner does manually, at least I've not gotten into the habit of using it. However your mention of it caused me to check for the latest version (4.20), which I began to install, but was stopped by the barrage of adware it attempted to install with it, even Kaspersky blocked it. Despite them calling it version 4.20, the install wizard called it version 3.20, so I checked my archive and found version 3.15 and installed it without any problems. It seems ironic that a program that calls itself Crap Cleaner, now tries hard to load you with a bunch of crap.

In addition to the steps that you follow, I often delete all shadow copies, which since they add a lot of locked system files, which often are fragmented, I find it desirable to eliminate them. If I get more serious, I will do the same with the hibernation file.

These are steps that I follow for defragging. I never considered it too much for running TI, because I use a scheduled incremental backup scheme, and it seems that whatever I might get rid of initially would be added anyway during one of the incremental stages.

Not sure where your downloading your copy of Ccleaner from...but I've never had it install any of the so called stuff you mentioned. I'm running the latest version, which is 4.05.4250...so I have no clue where you're getting 4.20 from....

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download?upgrade

Provided that you download from the software authors rather than one of the leech-like distributors which package all the crappy add-ons then it is generally a good idea to install the latest version.

Actually, at first I thought I had, because they have a tendency to phrase a website's name on Google to appear to be the primary site, when it isn't. I know better, but sometimes I get too fast on the mouse trigger.

Actually, at first I thought I had, because they have a tendency to phrase a website's name on Google to appear to be the primary site, when it isn't. I know better, but sometimes I get too fast on the mouse trigger.
Know exactly what you mean - devious lot they are but I got so sick of the cons that I'm now highly motivated to double check!

I just used the sync again to copy video files from one drive to a brand new clean, empty drive and I still got excessive fragmentation, as can be seen in the screenshot. It now seems clear to me that the only problem is with TI sync.

Attachments

• Drive T.png
    Drive T.png
    584 KB · Views: 363
My only guess at a possible cause for that level of fragmentation is tat a large number of files is being simultaneously copied and the space required for each is not allocated up front so the files are being completely interspersed.

That sounds about right to me. I've about concluded that this is an unavoidable problem when using TI for this purpose, which is saddening. I did post a question about this on the Acronis Forum, in hopes of finding a solution, but I don't hold much hope of that happening.

That means that either I will have to do this kind of operation by manually copy/pasting, which I know works far, far better in this aspect, or will need to find another program that is able to do this properly...if such a program exists???

Back