Windows 8 Trying to Backup my system

nichosi

reflex1.jpg reflex1.jpg Trying to Backup my system
Hi,
I got Macrium Reflex free version.
1. I created my win8 pro 64bits HD image 029BAD2ABA1011C9-00-00.mrimg
2. Creating recover dvd failed on 4 different CD-Rs & DVD-RWs first on Linux option& gave fail error as Attached
3. Then option MS PE gave same fail error also as Attached.
The disks are perfectly OK & their properties confirm this.
Any reason for above?
I presume the Macrium's Recover disk creates an ISO of the above image?
Is there another way to create same Recovery disk that would go on a CD/DVD?
& is there another free program I could try? ...........thanx .......nick

I think the disk you are trying to create is a bootable version of the software rather than a copy of the image file. In that case it seems that the PE disk (Preinstalled Environment) is having problems with the drivers which it needs to access your hard drive. To resolve this Reflect is recommending you check the option to "check for unsupported devices"- have you tried doing that?

Thanx,

"check for unsupported devices", I did not try it & I do not know what it means or how to go about it can you help on this too? ....nick

Thanx again,

there is no "........View Unsupported Devices" in he Restore menu option of my free Macrium Reflex, and tried again to create a restore disk with no success.
How do you do it in case I go the wrong way about it. I did read & followed Macrium info on this.
Reflxiso.jpg

Last edited:
Forget the virus warnings. That is a clean site that has already been used by many other people.

You can download the .iso for the recovery CD from my One Drive. All you need to do is burn it to CD.
By all means try it but the likely problem with this is that the pre-installed environment which has been created for your pc has (by definition) been created with the drivers required for your hardware configuration and may well not operate on the op's pc.

Another option is to buy the full version of reflect which will automatically handle the drivers issue.

Thank you,

Do you mean that the ISO must be created by Reflex "within my system " before can be restored on another HD?

If is the luck of drivers that prevents the creation of the rescue cd & rejects my CD/DVDs, where can I get those drivers?

And talking of another HD, if I ever manage to create a restore cd, can I restore my present system on my spare Maxtor Sata 160GB HD without an OS in it? How can I test a rescue cd in it.

Please see the attached scan of the above HD "C (J)", It has a copy of my win8 image & an iso of doubtful origin, probably one I made with some external burning program.

Also, can I see the contents of that image? ...........nick

Attachments

• C drive (J).jpg
    C drive (J).jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
I would not worry too much about the driver problem. This .iso has been used by more than a dozen people and I never had any complaints regarding drivers. But anyhow, all you can lose is 1 CD.

Hi

I use both Paragon and EaseUS backup software.
Both are free and both work.

I've used both of these to restore my computer in the last year.

Paragon will create a Linux bootable disk that will allow you to access and restore your computer if it won't boot.

The backup can be stored where ever you want it, as long as it's off the drive you are backing up.

There is no .ISO file involved.

Just download the program from Mikes link, install the software, use the utility to make a bootable DVD, and create a backup on another drive.

Mike

Last edited:
Thanx again,

Downloaded the free Paragon & created an image "Paragon Win8 Backup 18Aug14arc_180814 110421829" 122GB shown in its properties with 43 PFI files in it.

Then tried to make the restore DVD & after 1.5hrs reported error & that the disk is useless, which is rubbish as I tried it & is perfectly OK.

"...backup can be stored where ever you want it, as long as it's off the drive you are backing up...", what do you mean off the drive........

What do I do with this file now? I failed many times to make the restore cd, with Macrium & Easeus too.

BTW Norway eventually your download stop showing virus. .............nick

Hi

You can't put the backup on the drive that you are backing up.
A lot of people only have a C:\ drive, you have to have someplace else to store it.

It can be another hard drive, and external drive, or a partition created on your C:\ drive and not included in the backup.

Theoretically you can back up to DVDs, but in most cases this would take too many disks to be practical.
In my case 20 or so.

How are you making the bootable repair disk?

Mike

Last edited:
Hi again.

It appears that the process has changed some since I made the disks I have.
So I just created a new one from my 2014 installation.

They used to just have a button that said, "Make a Restore Disk" in the program window.

The whole process took less then 5 minutes and I rebooted my computer and affirmed that it works.
It booted my computer and opened Paragon in Linux so that I could have proceeded and restored my computer.

This is the process...

Find the Paragon ISO image file...

ParagonStructure_zpsf40a5780.jpg

In my case I have Paragon installed on the same hard drive I save the backups on.
Yours is probably in C:\Program Files (x86).

Open ImgBurn and select Write Image File to Disk.

http://www.imgburn.com/

Find the file and select the DVD drive that you want to burn the image to...

Imgburn_zps0e1af7ac.jpg

Be sure that Verify is checked.

Click on the Burn button.

The process shouldn't take more then a few minutes.
It will probable eject the disk half way through and then continue to verify it.

When you are done reboot the computer with the disk in to see if it works.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi

Where do you have it saved?

It is the file you will access from the Paragon boot disk to restore your computer if it ever fails to boot, you have a really bad virus, or you just want to get back to where you are now.

The image of your hard drive is all save in that file.

You should create a new backup file every few months or after making major changes to your computer.
I save the most recent and the next oldest one and delete the one beyond that so I always have at least 2 options to restore.

I've had to do it twice in the last year.
Once after upgrading to Windows 8.1, and once after being hit by lightning.

The best place to save the backup file is on another hard drive then your operating system is on, or an external hard drive.
The best next would be another partition on the same hard drive.

But if it's on the same hard drive and the hard drive fails you are out of luck.

If you don't have an external USB hard drive it would be a good idea to buy one and copy all your important files to it.
Once you've done that turn it off and unplug it until you need to use it again.

Something like this...

hhttp://www.amazon.com/Passport-Ultra-Portable-External-Backup/dp/B00E83X9P8/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1408516814&sr=1-1&keywords=external+hard+drive

Don't move your files to it, just copy them so you have them in more then one place, external drives fail too.

No matter what happens to your computer your files should be safe.

I have 3 external drives and have everything backed up at least twice.
Some of my stuff goes back almost 20 years.

Better safe than sorry. LOL

Mike

Back