Windows 7 Trying to figure out if my computer is on a Workgroup or Homegroup

rickluc

Capture Blank device and printer window.JPG
Capture Homegroup.JPG
Capture workgroup.JPG
Capture workgroup.JPG
Capture click on SamsungBluerayPlayer.JPG
I'm running Windows 7 on HP Pavillion. I'm having trouble with family account showing devices and printers window with items in it, just a blank screen. See attachment. My administration side of accounts shows the items in window. See attachment. I created a new account call Test and it shows items in the devices and printers window.
The computer is the only one in this home. What should the following settings be for Workgroup and Homegroup? Thanks

Hi Rick,
apologies your post was missed until now.. Do you still need any help with this issue?

Hi Rick,
apologies your post was missed until now.. Do you still need any help with this issue?

Yes I still would like to figure out this problem. My device and printer window still doesn't show any devices in that window on the family user account window. The computer recognizes the printer because I can print from the computer to the printer on the family account.I can log into the administration account and all the devices and printer shows up in the window. I created a test user account and all the items shows up in the device and printer window. Could I have something setup wrong in the windows software?
If I have to I can eliminate the family account and start using the test account if I could figure out how to move all the icons and stuff over to that test account. Don't really want to do that if we could figure out whats wrong on Family account.
I should add that this problem started probably 2 years ago and I did ask about and never got figured out. Thanks

Hey Rick,
does the test account have admin rights too? I'm just wondering if it has anything to do with admin accounts only being able to see that information?
You could see if the Family/guest account has become corrupted by running s system file scan. Find command prompt in start menu, right click on it and run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Hey Rick,
does the test account have admin rights too? I'm just wondering if it has anything to do with admin accounts only being able to see that information?
You could see if the Family/guest account has become corrupted by running s system file scan. Find command prompt in start menu, right click on it and run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.
Find attached the results from the family side and then the test side. Thanks

Attachments

• Capture Family side.JPG
    Capture Family side.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 357
  • Capture Test side.PNG
    Capture Test side.PNG
    138.8 KB · Views: 408
Hi,
thanks for posting that. It looks like the scans went through ok so what you could try is creating a new account and then moving the old information over. I can see from your settings above your already set up in a Homegroup as it's kinda done automatically. Read through this support page form Microsoft on how to create a new user account and carry over the old information:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7

Back