Windows 8 Turn off IPv6?

cwr64

Honorable Member
Running Windows 8.1 that is current with Windows Update fixes. Running fast Dell desktop PC.
My TW internet speed tests are done with my web browsers from ......
I'm having some phone problems and also sporadic reductions to my wireless and Ethernet speeds since updating with Time Warner to their faster cablemodem - 300Mbps technicolor model TC8717T. The TW people rewired my home connections and replaced some of their on premises cable and when things are running good they are really good. But my problem is intermittent. Sometimes my Ethernet speed, which is almost always 320Mbps, drops to 240Mbps. Sometimes my phone connection just cuts in and out and has more than once dropped the phone call. On my W8.1 laptop, I can see that the wi-fi speed drops from its normal 35-50Mbps to 3Mbps. A person on the Time Warner Forums told me to try turning off IPv6 in the cablemodem and I did that, I believe, but tracert google com output seems to show that IPv6 is still active. So then she told me to use the Windows Network Adapter connection wizard to turn off IPv6 in Windows. I don't know anything about that wizard and because of that I'm afraid to try it. Is that the correct thing to do to turn off IPv6? Will the wizard ask me questions that will allow me to screw up my connectivity? Not sure what to do...

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Sure. You can check and uncheck IPv6 in the properties of your network adapter without fear.
Just use the Windows Key + R and type
ncpa.cpl
hit enter and then right click the network adapter and choose properties.

Funny, I just got a new TWC Gateway and am currently researching how to enable IPv6 on my ASUS router. I still have the slower speeds since my area is currently awaiting the upgrade.

My speeds are fairly constant but I do see the modem dropping off or slowing down once in a while. During some large downloads, I have noticed the modem resetting for some reason...

I have thought for a while the digital phone effects the internet even though TWC swears it does not. I think there are some Computer auto calls which can mess up the digital phone and the internet. On occasion I will take the phone off the hook or even unplug it from the modem to see if it helps.

Otherwise, is there a specific time of day you see the drops? That TWC forum does seem to show how the network statistics regarding signal strength and such can be checked, maybe exploring that would show you what to look for. I have a different device so we can't compare..

Edit: Something else I just did on my system was to look at the log on the router. Do you have one you can access?

Last edited:
I don't have any answer for you - but the method the guy gave us to turn off IPV6 in Windows 8.1 worked fine for me. I turned it off and have just left it that way. It is also turned off in my 300Mbps Time Warner cablemodem/router. TW called and said they found "something" that maybe was hurting me and other TW 300Mbps customers that were having phone-modemspeed problems, but I don't know what it was/is. Maybe TW fixed it - my phone has not been cutting in and out like it was before. I have a long string for this problem on the TW forum pages.

EDIT: My cablemodem/router does create logs, but the TW tech and his manager said they don't know how to interpret the log entries. WHAT?

I found a comment on the TWC site stating folks with digital phone could not use IPv6, but in early 2015 that was supposed to be changing. I am guessing it aligns with turning on the new equipment.

But it does indicate IPv6 is or was involved with Digital Phone usage. They also said there were some areas they knew of problems and listed them but still working on a fix for those areas.

Right now I seem to have no IPv6 access to the Internet. Perhaps when they turn on my higher speeds, it will show up.

For future operations, remember Homegroups uses IPv6 for its communication on your internal network. Hopefully they have your situation solved.

I did not know that Homegroups require IPv6. I have a homegroup set up between my desktop & my laptop, but I seldom have my laptop booted.

Looks like I was wrong about not having IPv6, I got my router configured correctly and it now shows up.

I tested my speeds and I normally get a consistent 16 Mbps, I showed a 11.2 Mbps with large speed swings. I need to test at a different time of day to confirm so that speed result may not represent the connection as a whole.

It is a coincidence that I lost about 30% of my speed during this specific test. You say you were also loosing 30%, or so... Perhaps the IPv6 component does not show up in a speed test or something else could be happening... I will post back later after I do a couple of more speed tests.

Edit: The speeds picked up again later in the evening...

IPv6 Test.JPG

Last edited:
I read your entry. My entries (in the Time Warner forum) did say that I lost about 30% of speed on my ethernet connection when having the problem (from 300+Mbps down to 280Mbps, for example). But it the case of wi-fi - I lost sometimes nearly 100% of the speed (down to 3-4Mbps from 40+Mbps). And my telephone was dropping the call sometimes and also the callers voice would cut out for seconds at a time even if the call didn't drop.
The problem was intermittent and I don't know for sure whether TW fixed the problem. And I don't know whether IPV6 had anything to do with the problem, but I have it turned off in both Windows and the TW cablemodem/router.

This is just information, since you do not run a router, but when I connect my system directly to the Bridged Gateway, I get good speed and IPv6. If I go through my router, I get good speeds but no IPv6.

If I enable IPv6 on the router, speeds go into the Tank. I have a question on the ASUS board to see if anyone has any suggestions.

I did get good speeds and IPv6 if I connected my computer to the UnBridged Gateway.

Edit: Are your phone handsets wireless? Any Micrwave ovens around?

IPv6_5.JPG
IPv6_6.JPG

Last edited:
My TW cablemodem is also a router, and it is the fastest service that TW offers in my central Texas area. I previously used a home router as well, but since my 300Mbps Time Warner cablemodem router also handles wireless (wi-fi), I no longer need the additional router and I've removed it. My phone is an AT&T product which has a base station (with answer machine) and 2 additional stations (handsets). It doesn't interfere with wi-fi. No microwave is near the phones. My wi-fi serves my laptop (when it is booted - seldom), my wife's iPhone 4S, and a couple of Kindles. My wi-fi usually runs at 40-50Mbps download. My ethernet usually runs at 320Mbps download. I use the TW Speedtest to view my speeds.

Back