Greetings. I have Windows 10 home with 8 GB of ram and i5 core CPU and use this PC for producing music. Went on a mini vacation and when i came home and turned on PC, the icons on my desktop had symbols not letters under my programs and on my taskbar. Please help!!!!
Hello there! It sounds like your PC may be experiencing some trouble with its system fonts. Here are some steps you can try to fix the issue on your Windows 10 computer:
1. Restart your PC - Sometimes a simple restart can solve the issue.
2. Run the SFC (System File Checker) tool - The SFC tool will scan your system files for any issues and will fix them automatically. To run the SFC tool, click on the Start menu > Type in 'CMD' in the search box > Right-click on 'Command Prompt' and select 'Run as administrator' > Type in 'sfc /scannow' and press Enter > Wait for the process to complete.
3. Restore default font settings - If the fonts have been changed, restoring the default font settings may help. To do this, go to Start Menu > Type in 'Control Panel' > Click on 'Appearance and Personalization' > Click on 'Fonts' > Select 'Font settings' from the left-hand side menu > Click on 'Restore default font settings'.
4. Clear the font cache - Clearing the font cache can sometimes resolve issues with fonts. To clear the font cache, go to Start Menu > Type in 'CMD' in the search box > Right-click on 'Command Prompt' and select 'Run as administrator' > Type in 'c:\windows\system32\FNTCACHE.DAT' and press Enter > Wait for the process to complete.
5. Reinstall the affected applications - If the issue persists, try uninstalling and reinstalling the affected applications.
I hope these steps help resolve your issue. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you.
None of that works because when I try to use command or CMD or anything in the start menu search bar, it won't take the command. When I click on settings or anything for that matter, the characters are all symbols. The taskbar where the time is, is symbols. When I right click, everything is symbols. Helpp!!!!!
Also, a lil bit of info. Everytime I try to type in the command bar it either won't do anything or buffers and sends me back to the search bar and that has symbols in it with a hockey stick and a puck at the end.
Okay, to answer your question. I bought the PC from a computer store used. Haven't had any problems until a possible Windows update. I've attached the PC specs in this thread. After following your suggestions, it appears that the font is Marlett and I tried to uninstall in personalisation but when restarting, it gave me the blue screen of death. I've also, did a system restore to no avail. Anything that I do pulls everything up in this Marlett font and I can't read it to make normal changes or selections. I appreciate you helping me on this.