Windows 10 Turned on PC and the icons on the desktop had symbols instead of letters for titles.

Wes202

Greetings. I have Windows 10 home with 8 GB of ram and i5 core CPU and use this PC for producing music. Went on a mini vacation and when i came home and turned on PC, the icons on my desktop had symbols not letters under my programs and on my taskbar. Please help!!!!

Attachments

• 20230606_234644.jpg
    20230606_234644.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • 20230606_234556.jpg
    20230606_234556.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 20230606_234533.jpg
    20230606_234533.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 20230606_234510.jpg
    20230606_234510.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23
Hello there! It sounds like your PC may be experiencing some trouble with its system fonts. Here are some steps you can try to fix the issue on your Windows 10 computer:

1. Restart your PC - Sometimes a simple restart can solve the issue.

2. Run the SFC (System File Checker) tool - The SFC tool will scan your system files for any issues and will fix them automatically. To run the SFC tool, click on the Start menu > Type in 'CMD' in the search box > Right-click on 'Command Prompt' and select 'Run as administrator' > Type in 'sfc /scannow' and press Enter > Wait for the process to complete.

3. Restore default font settings - If the fonts have been changed, restoring the default font settings may help. To do this, go to Start Menu > Type in 'Control Panel' > Click on 'Appearance and Personalization' > Click on 'Fonts' > Select 'Font settings' from the left-hand side menu > Click on 'Restore default font settings'.

4. Clear the font cache - Clearing the font cache can sometimes resolve issues with fonts. To clear the font cache, go to Start Menu > Type in 'CMD' in the search box > Right-click on 'Command Prompt' and select 'Run as administrator' > Type in 'c:\windows\system32\FNTCACHE.DAT' and press Enter > Wait for the process to complete.

5. Reinstall the affected applications - If the issue persists, try uninstalling and reinstalling the affected applications.

I hope these steps help resolve your issue. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you.

None of that works because when I try to use command or CMD or anything in the start menu search bar, it won't take the command. When I click on settings or anything for that matter, the characters are all symbols. The taskbar where the time is, is symbols. When I right click, everything is symbols. Helpp!!!!!

where did you install this OS from... that looks to be a webdings language set [is there perhaps a small kid allowed on this system?]

1st the robot is wrong about point 3... and you have to be in "category" view to follow + those instructions are out dated
category view.png

to see or change fonts on Windows 10 you should use the settings path
1 - press Windows key and select the settings icon
settings.png

2 - look for the personalisation icon... even if the lang is bullshit that icon stays the same [which is the point]
personalisation.png

3 - the Fonts is the 5th down but again the icon AA doesn't change
select fonts.png

4 - select something else or post a screenshot to show us your settings
webdings.png

Also, a lil bit of info. Everytime I try to type in the command bar it either won't do anything or buffers and sends me back to the search bar and that has symbols in it with a hockey stick and a puck at the end.

Okay, to answer your question. I bought the PC from a computer store used. Haven't had any problems until a possible Windows update. I've attached the PC specs in this thread. After following your suggestions, it appears that the font is Marlett and I tried to uninstall in personalisation but when restarting, it gave me the blue screen of death. I've also, did a system restore to no avail. Anything that I do pulls everything up in this Marlett font and I can't read it to make normal changes or selections. I appreciate you helping me on this.
20230616_235903.jpg
20230616_235448 (1).jpg
20230616_235828.jpg

Attachments

• 20230616_235448.jpg
    20230616_235448.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back