Windows 7 Unable to Connect to Wireless Network - I can see the network but it won't connect

KRG2007

I have an HP Pavilion tx 2000. It had Windows Vista on it but I just installed Windows 7 Professional. Since installing it, I cannot connect wirelessly to my home network. I can SEE the network but it says it cannot connect to it. When I plug into a the router with ethernet it connects to the network just fine.

I've restarted the router, updated my computer and drivers. I know the network password is correct, I checked five times.

I don't know what else to do.

The router is a D-Link WBR-1210. My laptop's wireless adapter is a Broadcom 4321AG 802.11a/b/g draf-n Wi-Fi Adapter.

Please help!

I have an HP Pavilion tx 2000. It had Windows Vista on it but I just installed Windows 7 Professional. Since installing it, I cannot connect wirelessly to my home network. I can SEE the network but it says it cannot connect to it. When I plug into a the router with ethernet it connects to the network just fine.

I've restarted the router, updated my computer and drivers. I know the network password is correct, I checked five times.

I don't know what else to do.

The router is a D-Link WBR-1210. My laptop's wireless adapter is a Broadcom 4321AG 802.11a/b/g draf-n Wi-Fi Adapter.

Please help!

Turn off encryption (passwords) just to check. Does it work? If not does it work when you boot in safe mode (F8) with network?

Ken J

I can't seem to get in to configure the settings on my router. The default username of 'admin' with a blank password won't work. I'm sure I didn't change it, but I tried every possible combination of usernames and passwords I would have used and nothing. I'm still trying to figure this out.

Is there anything else I can do?

I can't find any reference to a Dlink wbr-1210 anywhere, but it seems that the default username is admin
and the default password field should be left blank (as in nothing / null)
You may have to use the reset button on the back of the router to actually be able to use that combo again.

Oddly enough... I reset the router AGAIN... and now my laptop's decided to work. Strange.

Thanks for the help.

Well, that's certainly good news. Glad that you were able to sort it out. Thanks for the update.
And a belated, welcome to the forums. We hope to continue to see you around.

Just as an oh by the way you should change your router login and password from the default. With the default someone else in your area may have inadvertly or purposefully got in to your router and and changed that infromation.

Very good advice from helpifIcan.
Thanks for the followup. All participation greatly appreciated.
And some rep for you, for keeping me on my toes. Good Job.

Back