Windows 7 Unable to Delete a .mkv Video File

Hello, I just had and recovered from the same problem.
Had an .mkv video from a website that usually has trusted videos, and never had this problem before. The .mkv that couldn't be deleted played fine and everything. Whenever I tried to delete it, it would say "... is in use by ___." ___ being whatever program was trying to delete it.

Anyway, I finally deleted it with File Assassin. Never knew that was there.

My question is what caused this problem to occur? It did not seem to be a virus or trojan or any sort. I did scans and nothing came up.

Start- Run - CMD-enter, CTRL+ALT+DEL open task manager, find explorer service an kill it, then navigate with command prompt to folder with invalid MKV file for example " cd D:\movies " then type " dir /a " then " del filename.mkv "

Hi Guys,

I had the same problem with 3 duplicate video files on my system. All i did was to see which was the last software which would effect my video files and it was new Divx and once i uninstalled it and restarted the computer. I was able to delete all three .mkv files.

I have found that to be a serious issue. So I always download to an external drive. That why if it happens, just kill power to the drive and reconnect.

Hi Guys,

I had the same problem with 3 duplicate video files on my system. All i did was to see which was the last software which would effect my video files and it was new Divx and once i uninstalled it and restarted the computer. I was able to delete all three .mkv files.

This is the perfect solution. Please check if you have DivX installed, then that's the problem. I uninstalled it, restarted my system and i was able to delete the file. That stupid DivX

Start- Run - CMD-enter, CTRL+ALT+DEL open task manager, find explorer service an kill it, then navigate with command prompt to folder with invalid MKV file for example " cd D:\movies " then type " dir /a " then " del filename.mkv "
The unlocker program didn't work for me, but killing explorer service and then using a command window to delete the file worked. Thanks! How screwy is this?? Cheers! Pete

it happened to me and the simplest and most efficient way to do delete the file that i found was to boot using a linux cd temporarily and deleting the file. i hope it works the same way for you. :)

Whenever you download a MKV file always put it in a seperate folder before added it to a list.
I had the same problem not any more I put the mkv file in a seperate folder there I test it
if it recieves the "open in another program" I delete thefolder. sometimes I double up the folder within a folder
and then delete. It works for me.

The reason it does that is, the windows explorer uses some files to generate preview in the explorer it self.

Go to:
-Desired Folder
-*drop menu* Tools > Folder Options > View > Always show icons, never thumbnails.
Check that box.
-Click "Apply, or OK"

Then try to delete the file, it will most probably be the case with DIVX which uses the file to generate the view from mkv files but fails to so it ends up with the file permanently opened.

(if that doesnt work then try the same method but after clicking OK, terminate the explorer from Task manager "Ctrl+Shift+Esc" and dont open the folder that your file is located, then open cmd from the new task menu under file and locate the folder then delete the file from there command: del "filename.mkv")

Hello Friend

I too Have the same Problem.

But I Deleted Those Files.

Here are the Instruction.

1) Open task Manager.
2) Goto Process and End process of explorer.exe.
3) Select File------> New Task and Type cmd and enter.
4) In that cmd Prompt type the Following Command.
del c:\"Filelocation"\filename.ext

Then the file wil be deleted.

Still if it is saying that files are in use, it means try to end process some of the "exe files" under the current username in task manager and then try again.

Its work for me.............

Hi I did this and it said "The system cannot find the path specified." I have tried it multiple times now...

When it says, "
del c:\"Filelocation"\filename.ext
"
You have to put the actual file location (not in quotes), something like:

del C:\Users\pmacay\Documents\funnymovie.mkv​

OK, sorry, I guess I don't understand what is not working for you, can you give more details on what you did and what is not working?

I typed in "del C:\Users\(my name)\Downloads\(filename).MKV" but it didnt work the file is a video retrieved from the internet that I do not want to identify for possible legal reasons... It allowed me to copy the file and paste it in the same spot, but it will not let me delete the file, move the file, or anything, the file works though, but I feel it is a potential threat and therefore would like to remove it. I downloaded another video from the same site and it was the same file type, and it wont delete either.

I typed in "del C:\Users\(my name)\Downloads\(filename).MKV" but it didnt work the file is a video retrieved from the internet that I do not want to identify for possible legal reasons... It allowed me to copy the file and paste it in the same spot, but it will not let me delete the file, move the file, or anything, the file works though, but I feel it is a potential threat and therefore would like to remove it. I downloaded another video from the same site and it was the same file type, and it wont delete either.

You did the first 2 steps first?
1) Open task Manager.
2) Goto Process and End process of explorer.exe.
Before trying to delete the file? Correct?

Hi

Do you use Malwarebytes?

If you do, go to tools, FileAssassin, and see if that will remove the file.

If you don't use Malwarebytes you can download FileAssassin as a stand alone.

FileAssassin - Download.com

It almost always works for me.

Mike

Back