Windows 7 unable to follow some hyperlinks or download files from internet

wgsouter

Hi. I've just upgraded from Vista 64 to Windows 7 Home Premium (64) and am now unable to follow some hyperlinks, download files from the internet, or even activate my account to this site from within the activation Email. I move the mouse over the hyperlink (or download icon), the mouse arrow changes to a finger symbol (as expected) and I can press the LH mouse button all night with no avail ... absolutely nothing happens, no error messages, no dialogue boxes - nothing.
I've compared my explorer security settings and exactly the same boxes are ticked as for my laptop, I've even re-installed Explorer 8 with no change to this problem. I really need to download an updated driver from Sitecom Support so that I can install and use my Wireless Card, but I simply cannot get this computer to run or download the file. What's going on?
Any help to resolve this extremely frustrating problem would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
W Souter
Westbury, Wilts.

It might also be helpful to know which browser you are using and what type of firewall or anti-virus you use.

Do you know if your links are supposed to open in a new window or new tab?

Did you perform a upgrade or a full install? this will be vital in assisting you

Hi Saltgrass & Carnivore,
It was a Windows 7 Upgrade from the CD supplied by DELL as part of a computer support arrangement. My previous Vista 64 settings opened a new window when following hyperlinks. Post Windows 7 upgrade, I am not able to follow any hyperlinks, ie, nothing happens: no windows or tabs open. Indeed, I can right-click on a hyperlink and select 'open in new window' which causes a new window to open. However, that new window remains as a white screen with the upper tab stating 'connecting' ... but it doesn't connect no matter how long I leave it. Something is blocking access.
Any help here would be much appreciated.

If you copy and paste the link in the address box, does it connect?

This is a link to another thread in this forum, does it work? The actual thread is not important for your situation.

Try this Link Removed due to 404 Error link. Just trying to see if this is a network problem and not a link problem.

There is a suggestion that you go to Default Programs and make IE your default browser. I would probably try opening the default programs dialog then select "Set program access and computer defaults." Use the down arrows on the right to open the options. If IE is already showing as default, maybe select something else then IE again later.

There was some mention about activeX, but I found this thread. It may be older, which may be a problem in Win 7. Of the dlls mentioned, I only show the urlmon.dll and oleaut32.dll in my registry.

Internet links not connecting/loading - Technology Questions

Last edited:
If you copy and paste the link in the address box, does it connect?

This is a link to another thread in this forum, does it work? The actual thread is not important for your situation.

Try this Link Removed due to 404 Error link. Just trying to see if this is a network problem and not a link problem.

There is a suggestion that you go to Default Programs and make IE your default browser. I would probably try opening the default programs dialog then select "Set program access and computer defaults." Use the down arrows on the right to open the options. If IE is already showing as default, maybe select something else then IE again later.

There was some mention about activeX, but I found this thread. It may be older, which may be a problem in Win 7. Of the dlls mentioned, I only show the urlmon.dll and oleaut32.dll in my registry.

Internet links not connecting/loading - Technology Questions

When I hover the mouse over the download icon, a text-string becomes visible on the bar at the bottom of the screen, but I cannot see all of the string or get to it to copy it.

Neither of the 2 links in your response go anywhere, ie, mouse changes to a 'finger' when I hover over them but nothing happens when I attempt to select them ... no messages, no activity, nothing.

Right click the link and use the "Copy Shortcut" option.

Right click the link and use the "Copy Shortcut" option.

Have Right-Clicked and selected 'Copy Shortcut' option (on both links) ... nothing happens ... is it supposed to give me an option to copy to a specific location, or was it supposed to copy a shortcut to my desktop?

After you copy it, go to the URL address box and paste it. Since you are no longer using the link to go to the address, it should work.

Are you only using IE8 or have you attempted to use an alternate browswer to see if the problem is IE8 specific?

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

After you copy it, go to the URL address box and paste it. Since you are no longer using the link to go to the address, it should work.

I now understand what 'Copy Shortcut' does ... yes, copying the hyperlink to the URL address box does work, but this doesn't get around the fact that something is blocking hyperlinks (or links) from working from within some websites using IE8. Ie, I can access news items and go to my Hotmail Acct from MSN, but not access any hyperlinks from within Hotmail ... similar with Sitecom: I can access the different Sitecom pages but not run or download any drivers or manuals.

As stated previously, I've re-installed IE8 without resolving this fault/issue. Oh, IE8 is the only browser I have installed on my computer where my computer knowledge is limited to only being able to do what I need to do - I wouldn't know how to install and use another web browser.

I continue to appreciate any assistance to resolve this frustrating issue.

It appears you haven't yet tried the regsvc32 fix the included link stated fixed their problem. Let us know how it goes.

It appears you haven't yet tried the regsvc32 fix the included link stated fixed their problem. Let us know how it goes.

I'm sorry, but I might seem incredibly dim here ... regsvc32 would seem to be a virus that hijacks your homepage to replace it with adult material. I have searched my computer for 'regsvc32' and that programme was not found. In addition, all links to scan for and remove such programmes (if they exist on my computer) involve the purchase of software. I am therefore confused over your suggestion to "try the regsvc32 fix".

Grateful if you would clarify ... reading up on the effect(s) of regsvc32, I do not have an issue with pages being hijacked and am therefore confused as to why you have made this recommendation. Thanks.

Sorry, you are correct. Look for regsvr32, as the link mentions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom