Windows 7 Unable to uninstall Windows 7 Service Pack 1

Slurgly

After recently downloading the service pack, I've had issues with my computer, including the themes service not working. I want to uninstall the pack so that I can do a system repair using my disc because my disc is older than the service pack. However, the service pack doesn't show up on the programs list. If I try to uninstall by looking at windows update or the command prompt I get an error message that says:

Installer encountered an error: 0x80073712
The component store has been corrupted.

I have already done a sfc file checker thing through the command prompt, and it said that some files were corrupted, and I couldn't access the log (access denied). I'm currently running the 64 bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium.

EDIT: I obtained the log from the sfc scan. Have a look if you may be able to help.
http://www.2shared.com/document/v4dCuSZe/sfcdetails.html

Last edited:
have you tried a system restore? click the start menu or windows orb, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and System Restore. choose a system restore point or date prior to the installation of the SP1.
hope this helps.:clover:
system restore.png

Unfortunately, there are no restore points prior to the installation of the service pack (today).

• Click the Start button and then, in the search box, type Command Prompt.
  • In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
  • Type the following: wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:976932
  • Press the Enter key.

@rbeldua: The methods in the link didn't work for me. The system file checker said that there were corrupted files that couldn't be repaired.
@Captain Jack: Using that exact method is what produced the error message originally.

Have you possibly used a cleaner recently. (Ccleaner.etc.) It looks like you may have deleted the remove data. One thing which may work is to try an reinstall SP1, to recreate the uninstall info, and then uninstall again. Maybe worth a try?

I attempted a reinstallation to no success. I suppose I'll give it another shot, though.

Just in case you want to know what the SFC was telling you.. Seems like quite a bit of corruption. Maybe a memory problem, or a drive or drive controller problem? Do not know except something is causing the corruption.

Attachments

• SFC.txt
    10.2 KB · Views: 841
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom