Windows 7 Unable to Upgrade from Vista x64 to Win 7 Ultimate x64

jbraden

Hello all,

I hope some of you can help me with my issues.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some system specs:

- PC Brand: Hewlett Packard (HP) Pavilion
- Current Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium x64
- Memory: 7gb DDR2
- HHD: 750gb (approximately 400gb free).
- Processor(s) Speed: 7.2Ghz
- Processor: AMD Phenom Quad Core Processor.
- Graphics Card: PNY nVidia GeForce 9800 GT 1024mb DDR3.
- Power Supply: 550 watt Power Supply.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my problem(s):

I have Windows 7 Ultimate DVD. I want to Upgrade (Not clean "custom" Install) from my current Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Ultimate.

I put the Windows 7 Ultimate CD into my DVD Drive and start the setup process of installation.

It goes through a few steps and then spends awhile checking for "compatibility"

Eventually, that finishes and it then displays the following information:

The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading.

Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue.

You can't upgrade 64-bit Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows.
To upgrade, obtain a 64-bit version of the installation disc, or go online
to see how to install Windows 7 and keep your files and settings.
Hello!! I choose Windows 7 Ultimate x64 during installation!!!

32-bit Windows cannot be upgraded to a 64-bit version of Windows.
To upgrade, obtain a 32-bit version of the Windows installation disc.
I'm Not upgrading from 32 bit...my system is x64!!!

Upgrading Windows will affect the following devices and/or programs:

These devices might not work properly after the upgrade. Before upgrading, we recommend
updating the drivers for these devices. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel
and search for "update device drivers", or go to the device manufacturer's
website to search for updated drivers.

Storage controllers: AEK5G2EU IDE Controller
I have updated All my drivers (including this one)!!

These programs might not work properly after the upgrade. We recommend uninstalling these
programs before upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel, and search
for "uninstall a program". (Note: Programs marked as * can be safely reinstalled
after the upgrade.)

- Microsoft SQL Server 2008
Fully uninstalled this using "Your Uninstaller Pro"!!

- Agatha Christie - Death on the Nile *
- Bejeweled 2 Deluxe *
- Chuzzle Deluxe *
- Slingo Deluxe *
- Wedding Dash *
- Zuma Deluxe *
I don't have (Nor have I Ever installed) any of these above games on my system!!

So....what is up with this message???

I have tried installing several times....always with a similar message and the installation cannot continue.

NOTE: For any of you that reply to this post, I absolutely Do NOT want to do a Custom Install where I end up losing all my settings and files. I want to only do an Upgrade. If I can't do that, I'll just keep using Vista.

Thank you all in advance for helping me and let me know if you need anymore information from me.

Is your processor speed really 7.2 GHz?

Where did you get the Install DVD?

Do you have any other drives in you system?

Are you on some type of network/Domain?

You might think about getting a new hard drive to test with.

Last edited:
Is your processor speed really 7.2 GHz?
I have a Quad-Core Processor with each being 1.8ghz

Where did you get the Install DVD?
Since I bought my PC only a few months ago, I was able to take advantage of the free upgrade offer through HP for Windows 7 (I paid a little extra for them to send me an Ultimate version).

Do you have any other drives in you system?
No, I do not have any other drives on this system.

Are you on some type of network/Domain?
No, not at all. Regular home PC.

You might think about getting a new hard drive to test with.
Considering I just spent $169.99 for my new graphics card and $98.99 for my new 550 watt Power Supply and an extra $139.00 for the upgrade DVD, I don't want (and can't afford) to spend any additional monies on this system.

I have a laptop, but that has only XP on it so that would not be a good testing ground for this purpose...and the specs are all different.

I was really hoping that someone here had experienced a similar problem to mine and could help me. Maybe with the questions that I answered, you could help me more?

Thanks.....hope to hear something back soon.

Hi Drew, thanks for answering.

HP sent me only one (1) disk. And during install, it asks me to choose between Win 7 Ultimate x86 OR Win 7 Ultimate x64.

I choose x64 each time.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

So, if HP bundled those games with my system, where in the world would they be??? I can't seem to find them....even when I do a search for the game titles.

Good ol HP, huh?

p.s. I've heard that even or especially doing a "Clean or Custom" Install of Win 7 that there is a lot of problems with drivers, etc.
Another reason I didn't want to do a clean install.

Hope to hear back soon.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks again Drew for answering so quickly! :)

I'm sure you can understand my hesitation about Drivers, etc. after a clean install.....considering what's occured in past Operating Systems.

I also have learned that Win 7 Does NOT have Windows Mail/Outlook. I have three true Pop-3 email addresses that I use all the time through Windows Mail. How in the world do I do my email after the upgrade? Will I have to do some stupid Web-Based Windows Live Email thing? Or can I still get it on my computer without going online?

Do you suggest I backup all my stuff onto DVD's, or onto my External HHD? My external probably couldn't hold it all though.

Will programs like Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended still work with Win 7 Ultimate? And others like the ones I currently use in Vista?

Is there a specific type of DVD disc I need to buy that Win 7 likes better?

Stupid Question: Does Win 7 have solitaire on it? I'm a bit addicted to Spider Solitaire. :)

Would you suggest that I upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium instead of Ultimate because I'm currently running Home Vista Premium?

Special Note: Maybe you or someone on this forum could make a special informational post telling members that if they purchased thier PC's in the last few months, that they more than likely qualify for a FREE upgrade to Windows 7.

You simply go to the MS site, and then have them search your system to see if you qualify. Then if you do, you have to send them (Electronically) your Proof of Purchase (POP), then once they verify your POP, they send out your Win 7 DVD.

Drew, thank you so much for all your help thus far.

p.s.s. If for some reason, I don't like Win 7 (Yeah right) or it doesn't install right or whatever......is there any way to go back to my Vista after doing this Clean Install of Win 7?

Last edited:
DREW...............You're Awesome..........Again, thanks for all your valuable support.

Is there a link (That you may know of) to a GOOD tutorial on how to do a proper Clean upgrade from Vista to Win 7? Maybe including how to locate all one's drivers and save them, save bookmarks, etc?

Thanks

I have one HHD in my PC (750 gb) and I have an external HHD (But there is Not much space left on it).

So I will be backing-up onto DVD disks.

Back