Windows 7 Unidentified Network persists after System Recovery??

KatherineSimply

Hello. I'm completely new to this forum and I feel terrible for posting issues right away, but I'm so desperate and frustrated with this issue that I'm about to throw my laptop out the window. I also apologize because I'm fairly aware that this problem has been posted several times on this forum and a million times on the internet, but I am afraid I may be the first one to wipe my computer and STILL have the problem!!!

So here it is:

I'm operating Windows 7 (of course) on an HP laptop. Everything was working just splendidly for six months straight until a month ago, when I ran into a serious internet/network problem. No matter where I try to connect with my laptop -- my house, ad hoc connections, other wireless routers, public connections, or directly into the high-speed modem that plugs into my desk top, -- the internet connection always shows the same message: "Unidentified Network: Public Network", and I cannot change it, no matter how many steps I take. I've gone as far as wiping my system and starting over with the factory settings, to no avail.

I have tried every trick in the book, from disabling the Bonjour service, to disabling and enabling network adapters, to adjusting TCP/IP issues, to updating the wireless drivers, to running troubleshoot, to ATTEMPTING to contact microsoft and calling HP tech support a dozen times, to erasing my computer's memory all together and restarting from the factory setting, with NO LUCK of repairing this issue.

I'm at a complete loss and really afraid, because this laptop was a gift from my mother to use to communicate with my family while I am miles away from home during the school year. Please, if no one here can help, can anybody at least direct me to a number, a forum, ANYTHING that can help me?

Thank you so much for listening and caring enough to read.
Kat.

Hey Kat.

Two things to look at.

1) Open the task manager. Is there a mdnsresponder.exe there at all?

2) Do this regardless - Open Internet Explorer. Tools | Internet Options | Connections tab | Lan settings

If there are any checked boxes at all, remove them. Then click ok until the screens are gone. Close I.E.

Test things out.

If you have #1, please let us know and/or let us know if this helped at all.

Here is another thing I'd like you to try if the previous post hasn't helped. We need to reset the network stack to original. Here's how:

1) Open an elevated command prompt.
2) Copy/paste this command to it then hit enter:

Code:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Then do the same for this command:

Code:
netsh winsock reset

Reboot and try your luck.

Thank you so much for getting back to me.
I have to say that I am not 100% computer savvy. I opened the command prompt incorrectly somehow -- when I inserted the text you'd asked me to, it told me that the operation "requires elevation <Run as administrator>" . (I thought I was the administrator...? Blah.)

I did try your first suggestion, with no luck. Thank you so much though.

Sure, no problem and you're welcome.

An elevated command prompt means that it has administrator privileges. If it is saying that message, your account is not an administrator account. Not to worry.

Here is how to open an elevated command prompt. Start menu | All programs | Accessories
Then right click on Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator.

Once opened, you can then copy/paste those commands I've shown, one at a time hitting enter after each. Don't forget to reboot after.

I would take these steps.
1. Open the Control panel (icon view) and select the "Network and sharing Center"
2. Select, on the left, " Manage Wireless networks"
3. Click any you see there, and on the Menu bar, "Remove.
4. Back out to the earlier Window, and select "Set up a new connection or network"
5. Select "Manually connect to a wireless network", and click "next"
6. Select "Connect to the Internet"
7. Select the appropriate option and type in the requested data. If you do not know the answers to these few questions, post back and you will get more help. Remeber to mark the square "Start this Connection automatically". The network name and security type are needed, in order to proceed. But if you select "No authentication", for the security type, you will not need the security key filled in.
8. Click "next" and the computer will ,hopefully, find your correct connection.

And of course, check for the latest Wireless/Ethernet drivers, and if new ones were recently installed (via Windows Update), open Device Manager, navigate to the adapter properties, and select Roll Back Driver. You could also use the default driver provided by your manufacturer.

Back