Windows 7 unidentified public network

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty1105

Here is my issue I have a wireless hot spot that I can regularly get onto when my computer decides to let me on. It is a valid network, I am not plugged into a dsl or have a modem or router or anything else. I simply am connecting threw my wireless signal my Wifi. I know for a fact it is a network I can get onto because like I said it lets me most of the time. Other times when I log on it comes up as limited access it always connects but with a limited access message, it will say connected but yet I have no internet access.. Then my computer says it cannot recognize the network and its listed as unknown public network. Now I have tried reseting my adapter I have tried to manually input my ip and gateway addresses with no hope of success. I have reset the adapter tried to configure the ip and manually entered all the ip address info. I have in the cdm prompt entered the ipconfig/release then the ipconfig/renew. Yea that don't work either is there anyone that can please help me. I don't understand how I can log on with no issue sometimes. It recognizes my network as home and other then a weak signal I still can get on. Is there something I am doing wrong can u please provide a fix. I really am at my computers mercy here.

Very difficult question to even make a good guess on;
Typically when you see something like "Unidentified Public Network" it's because your wireless adapter is not receiving accurate DHCP addressing information from the wireless router, for which there could be any number of reasons;
1. It doesn't have any left it its' address pool to hand out.
2. The signal strength is so poor that reliable communications is impossible.
3. Sometimes wireless routers just stop handing out addresses (responding to DHCP requests) and need to be rebooted (not reset).
4. You can be connected to the wireless router and still not have an internet connection depending on what is going on, on the WAN side of the wireless router or if the wireless router is having trouble forwarding DNS queries.
Do you have physical control of the router? Can you reboot/reload it?
When you have the issue and perform an ipconfig /release and /renew what happens? Do you get an error of any kind like "Unable to contact a DHCP server", or when the problem is present and you perform an ipconfig /all what exactly is the ip addressing scheme that is present at that time, is anything missing, specifically a default gateway address? Do you have the most current driver for your network adapter from the network adapter manufacturer's website. Does the router have the most recent firmware update?
Since the problem seems intermitent there may be some outside interference to consider from other wireless devices, phones, radios, other wireless networks, etc.

Hey thank for getting back to me I will try to answer that questions to the best of my ability. When I do an ipconfig/release renew all its says is ipconfiguration thats it. I do not have physical control of the router. This is me using the WiFi wireless I think I am picking up my neighbors service provider. For what ever reason though I do not need a password or an account for it. I just think that my computer connects when it wants and not when its supposed to. I have been able to get on today but last night it didn't work.I have tried all the recommended setting and idea that folks have had and I am still stumped. I have the latest driver and applications. I am running windows 7 on a hp dv4 that is only six months old its a really fast computer has all the latest programs. Any other suggestion would be greatly helpful.

Thank you

This is me using the WiFi wireless I think I am picking up my neighbors service provider. For what ever reason though I do not need a password or an account for it.
You are of course very welcome, but now unfortunatedly you have placed me in a rather difficult situation. With the quote above, extracted from your previous post, you have basically admitted to Theft of Wireless Service which is a crime in most if not all of the 50 states here in the U.S.
We do not support or condone any such activity and can not be seen or perceived as potentially aiding and abetting any such crime.
I'm very sorry but this thread will now be closed.
Kind regards
Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom