Windows 7 Unique problem caused by disc partitioning

Dogod

I have created a unique problem with Windows 7. I don't even know what can possibly be done, but I won't lose any data if I have to reinstall Windows 7.
For around a year and a half before Windows 7 came out, I had XP installed on my computer. When Windows 7 came out, I bought it, but I wanted to keep XP on the computer. I have 2 hard drives, so when I got my copy of Windows 7, I partitioned the second drive, hoping to use the partitioned part for Windows 7 and still have XP if anything went wrong.
Well, yesterday I decided to delete the other partition on that drive (Not touching XP), and grow that partition to the size of the full drive (big mistake). Now I can't boot into Windows 7 at all. It's giving me an error when I try to select it at the select OS screen. I can still boot into XP (I'm using it to post now), but it did a disc check on all of the discs. (which came out fine)
Is it possible to restore the system to the way it was, or do I have to reinstall Windows 7? (I already tried using system restore from XP, it failed)
I should mention, I might have a backup of the drive (created by Windows 7). I don't know if it's been deleted or not.

Try getting a free boot program and install it here is one I found on google
Link Removed due to 404 Error
It is vista boot pro
this may help you as can install it in the OS you can access then you can set it up to have which ever OS you want as your primary

When you deleted the partition, you probably changed the partition where Win 7 was located, so the boot menu points to the wrong place. I am assuming you still have a boot menu, since it sounds like you do.

In order to fix it, you could easily boot to the Win 7 Install DVD and use the Command Prompt to use bcdedit. You might be able to use bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd to fix the problem. But the Partition would have to be changed from whatever it was to whatever it is.

If you are not into using command line utilities, you can do as Super Sarge suggested and get that utility. I believe it cost some money.

The alternative, EasyBCD, is a good, free utility but requires some extra stuff to run in XP. It should state the requirements on the NeoSmart Technlogies website.

Or, you could add the partition back to see if that would allow you to boot into Win 7.

Last edited:
When you deleted the partition, you probably changed the partition where Win 7 was located, so the boot menu points to the wrong place. I am assuming you still have a boot menu, since it sounds like you do.

In order to fix it, you could easily boot to the Win 7 Install DVD and use the Command Prompt to use bcdedit. You might be able to use bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd to fix the problem. But the Partition would have to be changed from whatever it was to whatever it is.

If you are not into using command line utilities, you can do as Super Sarge suggested and get that utility. I believe it cost some money.

The alternative, EasyBCD, is a good, free utility but requires some extra stuff to run in XP. It should state the requirements on the NeoSmart Technlogies website.

Or, you could add the partition back to see if that would allow you to boot into Win 7.
- That's what I thought happened also. I do still have a boot menu, but when I try to boot Windows 7, I get another screen that says something like "Could not boot because the drive was not found." It also gave me an error number which was something like 0xc0000225. I don't remember exactly, but it did end in 0000225.
- When I boot to the install DVD, it tries to install it. I haven't been able to do anything else with it.
- I did get the utility, but it didn't help.
- I'll try that as soon as I'm able. (an hour or two)
- That was the first thing I tried.

Please be as specific in your answers as possible. When you say "the utility", do you mean Vista Boot Pro? If so, what message did it give you. I have never used it, so maybe Super Sarge will know what it means.

To repair and install with the Win 7 DVD, after you select your language, you need to select repair on the bottom right. If it won't let you do that, you might be able to boot to XP then go to the DVD in the command window so you can run some of your utilities from there.

I was wondering if changing the drive letter in disk management from within XP might help, but I do not know if it is valid during boot.

Well, yesterday I decided to delete the other partition on that drive (Not touching XP), and grow that partition to the size of the full drive (big mistake). Now I can't boot into Windows 7 at all. It's giving me an error when I try to select it at the select OS screen. I can still boot into XP (I'm using it to post now), but it did a disc check on all of the discs. (which came out fine)
Is it possible to restore the system to the way it was, or do I have to reinstall Windows 7? (I already tried using system restore from XP, it failed)
I should mention, I might have a backup of the drive (created by Windows 7). I don't know if it's been deleted or not.
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean. To try to clear it up for me, you started with one drive on which XP was installed. This drive had a second partition, which is the one you deleted?

Or did you delete the partition on the second drive which is where the Win 7 install was? It can get confusing when talking about different drives and partitions and whatever.

If you don't mind reinstalling Win 7, it might be easier to get the dual boot back.

Last edited:
Let me start by saying thanks for your help, even though it was doomed from the start.
What happened was this:
I have 2 HDDs. On one, XP was installed, and worked fine.
The other HDD had two partitions. One held Windows 7, the other probably shouldn't ever have existed in the first place.
I decided that I wanted to delete the useless partition and grow the other partition to fill the hard drive.
I did that, but unfortunately, the partitioning software that I used (Gpartition, which has worked for me for many different things in the past) copied everything on the Win7 partition and moved it to the left on the drive.
I don't know how, but there must have been some problem, because it ended up corrupting Windows 7.
I thought that it just didn't want to boot into Windows 7, so I came here. When I tried to boot into Windows 7 with EasyBCD, it got me past the boot menu, but then I got a BSOD.
I then realized that it was corrupt, and reinstalled it. (Which is working fine.)
In fact, luckily, Windows 7 was corrupted, but I managed to salvage all of my data from that drive (Through XP) before I formatted it to reinstall Windows 7.

So again, thanks for trying to help me, but from the start it was never going to work.

Back