Windows 8 Unusual windows networking issue between Windows 8 and 10 computers

danwfs

Hi, I'm Dan. This is my first post on the forum. I'm hoping other members may be able to assist me with a frustrating issue I'm facing on my home network.

On my network, I have:

HP Laptop with Windows 8.1 Pro using Wifi
Custom build Desktop PC being used as a file server with Windows 8.1 Pro connected via ethernet
Dell XPS Desktop with Windows 10 connected via ethernet
HP OfficeJet Pro Printer connected via ethernet
HP LaserJet Printer connected via USB to the file server PC.

Ok, the issue I have at the moment is that the HP Laptop cannot see the File Server on the network and also wont connect to the file server if I type in the address in manually i.e. //NETSTOREPC/, but I can see and successfully connect to the OfficeJet Pro printer and the Dell XPS desktop.

The Dell XPS can see the File Server and both Printers, but it cannot see my HP Laptop, but the difference with this problem is I can connect to the HP laptop successfully if I type in its destination address, //HPLAPTOP/.

Now to confuse you even more! The file server see's everything on the network, and it can connect to everything without any problems.

This whole setup I have has worked for months, nothing has been changed. All of a sudden one day my network became broke and I have tried everything I can think of to restore it all back to working order.

Anyone have any suggestions I could try?

Much Appreciated

Running wireshark on the computer when the problem occurs would be very helpful

In case this makes my post clearer! I know this all points to the HP Laptop, its pretty obvious but I'm not sure whats causing it

Attachments

• networkissue.png
    networkissue.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 482
Running wireshark on the computer when the problem occurs would be very helpful

Neemobeer which is the best capture filter to use? Sorry never used wireshark before.

if I use filter "net 192.168.0.254" (.254 is the address of the file server) nothing is logged when trying to connect via RDP or file sharing
if I use filter "net 192.168.0.1" (.1 router) then I get tons of crap by the second.

I wouldn't use a capture filter. Just use a display fiilter of ip.addr == <fileserverip> then do 'Export Specific Packets' > Displayed

I wouldn't use a capture filter. Just use a display fiilter of ip.addr == <fileserverip> then do 'Export Specific Packets' > Displayed

That worked, finally found the problem!!

During a host name query, in this case NETSTOREPC, the HP laptop is resolving with an invalid destination IP address of 192.168.0.255, the NETSTOREPC is in fact 192.168.0.254.

What would be the best way to fix it?

255 would be the broadcast address. This is used to locate devices for many protocols so that is probably normal traffic.

Ah crap! Sorry I didn't realise that. I thought Windows handled host name queries it self, If that is the case does that mean its my broadband router that is handling host name queries or is it a broadcast to all machines on the network? I'm just trying to understand how it all works

Certain types of netbios nodes can be used to resolve hosts but it has a lot of limitations.

Some routers do not allow wireless clients to communicate with ethernet clients (they separate them). Check the router settings. I had this problem.

Last edited:
That worked, finally found the problem!!
During a host name query, in this case NETSTOREPC, the HP laptop is resolving with an invalid destination IP address of 192.168.0.255, the NETSTOREPC is in fact 192.168.0.254.
What would be the best way to fix it?

IP addresses ending in ...255 are usually reserved for broadcasting, they are not assigned to clients.
Please run ipconfig /all and post the result.

IP addresses ending in ...255 are usually reserved for broadcasting, they are not assigned to clients.
Please run ipconfig /all and post the result.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : WFS-HP6710b
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-3C-5D-85-CA
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3433:40fc:f5b8:7cf6%8(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.30(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 50339644
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-21-EA-F5-01-00-1F-3C-5D-85-CA

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : HP hs2300 HSDPA Broadband Wireless Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-A0-D5-FF-FF-85
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-86-05-7F-C2
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.{E5B7EA44-52B7-448D-8CAB-CDD6BD169692}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

I see you're not using DHCP, is that the case with all your devices or are some using DHCP and if so does the scope overlap any of the static hosts? That will definitely cause connection problems.

I have looked again at your first post and I have to admit that it confuses me.
Does your HP laptop see Dell XPS desktop but Dell XPS desktop cannot see HP laptop?

Does it make any difference if you connect the HP laptop via ethernet?

Last edited:
DHCP doesn't need to be required nor does the IP of the gateway or DNS server need to be .1 provided those IPs are in fact the devices in question.

Back