Windows 7 Unwanted Close Down

davegthomas

Honorable Member
My PC used to be on 24/7 until I decided that I wasting power however now it seems to want to close down at 23:15 unless it is actually working on something - This is annoying me and I would like to know what is causing this shutdown - does anyone have an explanation?

Hi Dave,

try checking the advanced power options found via the control panel:

powerar.jpg

If nothing is amiss then please post back.

@kemical

I checked the power options and under Sleep I only have two options - Sleep after which is set at Never and Allow wake timers which is set at Disable - no other options as per your pic!
Any other things i might look at?

Hmm.... Try checking your scheduled tasks and the settings highlighted in the screenshot as sometimes these can mess with your computer waking up or turning off

power.jpg

I seem to be a little confused. Your system used to run 24 hours a day. Now it is turning after 23 hours and 15 minutes, or it is shutting down at 11:15 P.M.?

The only thing I can think of that has an expiration date is a lease on a network connection. Don't know why that would shut the system down, unless some type of conflict was occuring.

Any parental controls involved?

There are some performance troubleshooters, you might try one of those.

Hopefully, you will find something in the Task Scheduler as Kemical suggests.

Last edited:
@kemical
Yes I have the same Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller only all the boxes are ticked!

@Saltgrass
Yes it shuts down at 11:15pm and I have unlimited Cable access to the network.

I have noticed that I have, in HKEY_USERS, S-1-5-18 thru 21 which are I know not what?

You could try unticking 'allow this device to wake the computer' which I know is different to shutting it down but it could bear some relation. I'd also try running a virus/malware scan and also check your bios to see if anything related has changed in there (sometimes there are timer settings in the bios).

I have noticed that I have, in HKEY_USERS, S-1-5-18 thru 21 which are I know not what?

Go to the key below and it will show you. One is the System, Local Service, Network Service.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Back