Windows 7 Unwanted highlighting in start menu

BobSr

I have two relatively minor issues with the way that some apps treat the start menu in Win7.

I have the Start | Programs submenu organized into various sub-submenus according to certain categories.

The first problem is that some programs cause the sub-submenu in which the shortcut for that program resides to be highlighted all the time. (In my color settings, if I hover the cursor over a sub-submenu, that sub-submenu turns a light blue; the sub-submenus affected by this problem, on the other hand, are orange all the time.) Is there a way to stop that from happening?

Second, some programs, upon restarting the computer, re-create the link for the program in the Start | Programs submenu, so that I end up with two shortcuts for the program, one in the Start | Programs submenu, and the other in the Start | Programs submenu | sub-submenu. Is there a way to stop that from happening?

Thanks.

Bob

New programs get highlighted automatically - if it is those then:

Right-click an empty area of the taskbar and click on "Properties", Click the "Start Menu" tab, Click on "Customize", scroll down and uncheck "Highlight newly installed programs".

New programs get highlighted automatically - if it is those then:

Right-click an empty area of the taskbar and click on "Properties", Click the "Start Menu" tab, Click on "Customize", scroll down and uncheck "Highlight newly installed programs".
Sorry, I should have mentioned that that is already unchecked, but the highlighting still happens.

It may be, though, that the highlighting persists only for a short time. I noticed this morning that of the three apps that had caused the unwanted highlighting, only two do so now, and I think that they were installed more recently. I dunno. It's strange, because I've had Windows 7 for a couple years now, and the last couple weeks has been the first time that any highlighting at all has occurred.

Back