Windows 10 Unwanted Update Won't Complete

busybee

Windows 10 - 64 bit interrupted (froze) my workspace several days ago with an "app and features" update that required a restart to begin downloading. Did not have an "X out" option. I clIcked on the restart option, the update started and then stalled. Several hours later I finally turned the computer off to work another day. Now this update shows as about 60% installed, has no option for again beginning, and is slowing down everything. I do not want any of the features it has and want to get it off my computer entirely, never to be seen again. Because it is not installed, it does not show on the list that allows me to uninstall. How do I get rid of this monster? And why does Microsoft think it can highjack my work day in such a high handed manner? Arbitrarily clicking on restart just gets me back to verrrry slow standard screen. No security issues seem to be involved. Have had updates on auto, but am now going to change that, security issues be damned. All help appreciated.

You can try this.
Honestly, updates will make your computer safer even though sometimes they might break something temporarily.

I have no quarrel with security updates, but I do not need more apps -- particularly those in this unsolicited "update" -- and resent having them foisted on me without my being able to decline. Just want to do my work with speed and no interference.

It is mostly security updates, just be patient and allow it to install. Now the issue you're having is partially of your own making as you interrupted it updating.

As nmsuk says, you have got to a point where it cannot continue.
One thing which often works is tope the Troubleshoot (On the left in the "Update and Security page of the settings)
Select the troubleshoot update feature and let it run. AFter, if you look in the update section, you should find it has gone. You should then heck for updates and, if succesful, allow it to run again. when almost at the end, it will state it needs a restart to finish.
FWIW. It is not a good thing to attempt to disable the updates. Maybe I am lucky, but I have never had problems with them. The so-called features are mostly "under the hood" and will not disturb you in any way

Back
Top Bottom