Windows 10 Update and Shutdown Still Updates on Boot

conrad9900

I manage several PC's in an office environment and staff have been complaining that their PC's are taking 10-15 minutes in the morning to update after they chose the "update and shutdown" option the night before, Is there any way to ensure this does not happen?

Unfortunately no, the updates are going to take how ever long they like. I've had singular updates take over an hour to install in some cases. If this was due to the latest updates, then it was because Microsoft cancelled their last patch Tuesday so updates were much larger this time from 700MBs to 1GB in size. If you are using Pro versions of Windows you can set local group policy to tell the systems when to update so the updates occur at night when no one is in the office.

Yes, I understand they can take a while but at 6pm, the users click "update and shutdown" when they arrive in the morning and power on, they are greeted with an update that can take 20-30 minutes. Surely the idea of doing it when u leave is so that you do not have to do it when you log back on

It's better to do 'Update and Restart' as some updates have two parts "Install" which occurs during the shutdown and a "configure" that occurs during boot up.

Back