Windows Vista Update on Vista install on new HD

olflier

I recently posted a question about installing an upgrade disk of Vista onto a new HD. Got some suggestions, here is what I have found in my particular case. I tried installing on a blank disk and when I entered the product key it asked to insert the Windows XP disk. I inserted it but the install stopped. I then did another install w/o the product key and it went OK and the OS worked OK, but when I tried to activate, it would not because I did not install over an XP program. Reformatted the disk, installed XP and all the drivers I could think of and then ran the Windows Vista upgrade advisor. This is key, because it detected some files (like net framwork and a couple of others) that needed to be installed before installing the OS. It hasn't been worry free, but so far is working OK and I got the activation OK. Gotta play by Bill's rules I guess.
Regards,
Larry

Hi Larry,

I remember your post (as well as your cat) and am surprised the install went the way it did. Perhaps, like you hinted, Bill's changed some of the rules...
Anyhow glad to see you got it worked out and thanks for the update as it helps others who may be seeking the same resolution.

Hi Larry,

I remember your post (as well as your cat) and am surprised the install went the way it did. Perhaps, like you hinted, Bill's changed some of the rules...
Anyhow glad to see you got it worked out and thanks for the update as it helps others who may be seeking the same resolution.

Well, I just wanted to pass along my experience, that's one the great things about these forums.........................hope it will help some guys out there.
L

Back