Windows 7 Updating Video card driver

WilliamP

Extraordinary Member
If I go to Device Manager ,Video Card and click on Update Driver will it look for a newer driver automatically?

Yes...but it's recommened that you go to the GPU's website to download driver directly.

I have done that,but I am getting bsod's. Some say (Clock watch dog time out error). When I research the errors, it talks about driver problems.

What GPU brand do you have? Start over from scratch. Uninstall driver from add and remove programs, reboot. Then download driver from GPU website and install. It should reboot after install, if not reboot. Then check for your issue.

I have an XFX 5770. I may have messed it up to start with. I built the system myself. After loading Windows everything seemed fine until I stuck in the XFX CD to install the driver. Then I went online and tried to download and install the driver. I wound up starting over and formated the drive and reloaded Windows 64 bit. I still get the occasional BSOD. I have ordered an EVGA 560 SE. Of course I'm not positive that it is the problem.

I am trying something. It seems that the BSOD's are when the computer has been inactive and the screen was turned off. When you move the mouse to normally start it ,you have a BSOD. So I have set it to never shut off the display. I"m going to see if that stops the BSODs. Of course it could still be the video card driver . I guess?

Back
Top Bottom