upgrade of Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by dewduster, Nov 19, 2009.

1. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

May I remind forum users of the rules regarding posting:

1. No Software Piracy: You agree by posting on this site you will not post links or discuss in any way, ways to pirate or illegally download any proprietary or commercial software. (Example: Windows 7). This site is based on discussion and support for this kind of software, not stealing it. There are no exceptions to this policy. You will be banned, and you will be IP blocked from our site.
    2. Conduct: While we welcome critiques and criticism of issues, programs, software, we do not tolerate personal attacks, flame baiting, hate speech, racism, sexism, or other anti-social behavior.
    3. Avoid Repetition: We ask that you refrain from posting the same thing over and over again. If you do not get an answer to a question, it is quite possible no one knows the answer.
    4. Grammar and Spelling: It is strongly encouraged that you type properly and preview your message before submitting it. This will help convey your ideas properly and get your message across.
    5. Spam: There is a ZERO TOLERANCE policy in regards to spam on Windows7Forums.com. Do not advertise your websites, market your products, promote your get-rich-quick scheme, over the counter pills, or other nonsense on this website. Do not create multiple accounts to have conversations with yourself about how great your company's software package is. You will be removed, your IPs will be blocked, and if possible, you will be reported to spam reporting agencies and your ISP. There is no exception to this rule and spam-related bans are permanent.
    If you find that you cannot get along I suggest that you either learn to get along or avoid each other.

1. All of those links are to one article. It should be noted that tblount scrolled the page down enough so that we couldn't see the search terms that he used.

2. While tblount quoted a tiny part of that article and did not discuss its content, the entire article can be found here. It is clear from the article itself that it should have been entitled "Microsoft Says Windows 7 Install Workaround is Sometimes Legal".

3. That article mentions a "workaround" that could be used both legally and illegally.

4. That workaround is completely different from the two always illegal hacks that tblount has suggested in Windows 7 Forums:

tblount advocated an illegal hack in his blog of 10/26/2009, even noting that "Microsoft doesn't want you to do it". In other words, tblount knew that it was illegal when he wrote that blog entry. Similarly, he posted another illegal hack the day before, the illegality of which I have discussed previously. Both hacks involve altering the official installation media in ways that violate the Microsoft EULA.
    I'm surprised that "an expert" like tblount (to quote him as he describes himself) has failed to explain these facts. I hope this helps people avoid the pitfalls of following his advice.

2. fjgold

fjgold New Member

At least for me I had to make sure to format my USB Flash drive to NTFS prior to using unetbootin.
    When I used a Flash drive formatted to Fat 32 it would not boot properly.

I tries this with several Flash drives and with all of them NTFS was the ticket.

3. tblount

tblount New Member

Yes, information wants to be free.

Unetbootin works.... like Microsoft's USB tool to help you do a clean/custom install when upgrade fails.

Download Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe, upload your files and earn money.

Microsoft explains where and how to edit ei.cfg ... the same day Win 7 was released.

Windows Setup Installation Process - Microsoft technical library
    Published: October 22, 2009
    EI.cfg ... located on the product media under the \sources folder... make sure the settings in your EI.cfg file match the installation source.
    Windows Setup Installation Process

4. fjgold

fjgold New Member

Thanks for the link to the tool M$ "stole" from unetbootin.
    You have mentioned this before but this is the first link I've seen.
    Other than they both do the same thing I don't see the resemblance to unetbootin.
    MS may have run with the idea but any programmer can create a program to do what either
    unetbootin or the MS tool does. Besides unetbootin is open source so anyone even MS has access to the source code.

The major difference between the two is the GUI is much more basic with the MS tool.
    BTW, the MS tool works with Flash drives formatted in both Fat 32 and NTFS (actually the MS tool automagicaly formats the Flash device to NTFS regardless of it's initial FS).

5. tblount

tblount New Member