Windows 7 Upgrade pre installed Win 7 Pro 32 bit to 64 bit, no install disc supplied

paddyb

Apologies if this has been covered elesewhere, but i couldn't find anything that answered my question exactly.

I've just ordered a new i7 pc, which comes with Win 7 Pro 32 bit pre installed. I really want the 64 bit version, but there was no option to change to 64, and it will be pre installed, so don't think it will come with an install disc.

What are my options for upgrading to 64 bit, given that the cost is the same for both versions? I'm fully prepeared to do a clean reinstall and even not use the machine at all until 64 bit is installed, but don't want to pay for another license if i'm not going to use the 32 bit version. I understand that people have had success using 32 bit license on with a 64 bit install disc, but i haven't got one.

Hope thats makes sense and someone can help!

Many thanks

Apologies if this has been covered elesewhere, but i couldn't find anything that answered my question exactly.

I've just ordered a new i7 pc, which comes with Win 7 Pro 32 bit pre installed. I really want the 64 bit version, but there was no option to change to 64, and it will be pre installed, so don't think it will come with an install disc.

What are my options for upgrading to 64 bit, given that the cost is the same for both versions? I'm fully prepeared to do a clean reinstall and even not use the machine at all until 64 bit is installed, but don't want to pay for another license if i'm not going to use the 32 bit version. I understand that people have had success using 32 bit license on with a 64 bit install disc, but i haven't got one.

Hope thats makes sense and someone can help!

Many thanks

If I was faced with your desires, I would do the following:

Beg, borrow or download (watch out for virus-laden iso's) a Win7 X64 ISO or install disk.
Shrink your existing 32-bit partition to allow for a dual boot (create un-partitioned space).
Use Keyfinder (google it) to find your existing 25-digit code in your 32-bit install.
Install Win7 X64 in the created partition
See if you can activate your X64 version with that code after installing X64
If you can, you are home free, if not you still have your 32-bit partition and will have to invest in a new x64 package.

Thanks for answering.

If this were to work (and it seems theres some doubt about this), would this pass Microsofts validation tests and be able to recieve automatic updates etc?

Thanks for answering.

If this were to work (and it seems there's some doubt about this), would this pass Microsoft's validation tests and be able to receive automatic updates etc?

Assuming you didn't have a bogus key in the first place, if you can activate you will be genuine and able to receive updates. If you can't you can always phone M$ and see if they will activate you. (They will ask you if you have used this key on more than one computer and you can truthfully say no.)

Thanks.

I've actually managed to get the vendor to change it to 64 anyway now, but i think this thread will be of interest to others as so many pc's and laptops are still being sold with 32 bit as standard, even though the specs really demands 64 bit to get the most out of them. If i still need 32 bit for anything that hasn't got the right drivers etc, am i correct in understanding that i can run Windows XP Virtual Machine in 32 bit? Failing that, i can creat a partition and put XP on it.

Thanks.

I've actually managed to get the vendor to change it to 64 anyway now, but i think this thread will be of interest to others as so many pc's and laptops are still being sold with 32 bit as standard, even though the specs really demands 64 bit to get the most out of them. If i still need 32 bit for anything that hasn't got the right drivers etc, am i correct in understanding that i can run Windows XP Virtual Machine in 32 bit? Failing that, i can creat a partition and put XP on it.

You are correct if you have the Professional or Ultimate Version. M$ has just removed the requirement for hardware virtualization so you don't have to address that issue.

Back