Windows 10 Upgraded from XP to 7 to 10, can I get my XP files back???

Rob Rose

Like a lot of people, I waited til nearly the last minute to upgrade my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last month in July. However, years before that, I was using Windows XP. During my time with XP, I had countless files of my childhood, including pictures, school stuff, and videos. When I upgraded from XP to 7 (using a disc), all of that moved to my Windows.old folder, which I was okay with, because it helped me keep track of what was old and what was new.
Well, when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I wasn't exactly considering this, and noticed now that my Windows.old folder is completely void of 10 YEARS of stuff that I value above all else on my computer. If I go to File Explorer in Windows 10, it still shows some of those recent files that I used in my Windows.old folder, but when trying to open them, it says the file cannot be found.
I am wondering if anyone has any sort of idea or knowledge on if these files are recoverable. Like I said, this is 10 years worth of stuff, including photos and videos of me with a childhood friend that is now passed away. I wonder if using the revert back to Windows 7 option would restore these files?

Also, I know that I should not have procrastinated and should have backed these files up just to be sure. I was so used to them being where they were, and Microsoft said that no files should be lost, so I didn't even think about it. I'm not looking for anyone to criticize me for this - trust me, know one is more upset at myself than I am.

Thank you for any kind of information regarding this!

Back
Top Bottom