Upgrading PSU

H4X0R46

Honorable Member
Unless you're going crazy on hard drives and add a really high end GPU such as the Nvidia Titan you won't really need anything higher than a 600W power supply. If you really want to upgrade I'd go with ThermalTake or Corsair that is at least 80+ GOLD rating. The rating really just means how energy efficient the PSU is which equals less heat put out.

Unless you're going crazy on hard drives and add a really high end GPU such as the Nvidia Titan you won't really need anything higher than a 600W power supply. If you really want to upgrade I'd go with ThermalTake or Corsair that is at least 80+ GOLD rating. The rating really just means how energy efficient the PSU is which equals less heat put out.
Cool thanks! So let's say, an Nvidia GTX 1080 or something like that, a 600w power supply would suffice?

Yup, you're generally going to have a bigger draw on the PSU at boot but in short the recommended should be taking into account all the system components for a standard 1 hard drive system.

Yup, you're generally going to have a bigger draw on the PSU at boot but in short the recommended should be taking into account all the system components for a standard 1 hard drive system.

Cool thanks! I would probably go with a 600 or 650 just for some more room or upgrades, is it possible to put a power supply that's too much for a system?

Nope, you can put the highest wattage PSU you can find if you want. Some of the higher end PSUs have removable cables though for better cable management.

Another point of view: Adding such a high powered graphics card would be a waste of money if you run it in a system with an ADM FX-6300. This processor, although not a bad one, is outdated and would definitely slow down your high powered graphics card. Better get a middle class graphics card, this way you also don't need to worry about your PSU's output.

Another point of view: Adding such a high powered graphics card would be a waste of money if you run it in a system with an ADM FX-6300. This processor, although not a bad one, is outdated and would definitely slow down your high powered graphics card. Better get a middle class graphics card, this way you also don't need to worry about your PSU's output.
I did some more research and found out that the strongest CPU my mobo can handle is an AMD FX-8370..... Would upgrading this AND my GPU be a good or a bad idea? I even considered getting a new mobo and rebuilding my whole machine.

I would not do that. AMD is about to launch it's new processor lineup which apparently will finally be competitive again when compared to Intel's CPUs. I would stick with what you got and wait to see how the new AMD CPUs perform. If they don't meet your expectations I would consider switching to Intel. You will need a new mainboard nonetheless since AMDs new CPU generation will be based on a new socket. At least that's what I'm doing right now.

But if you want something more sophisticated right now you will have to switch to Intel CPUs. If you do that a new upper-class GPU will make sense. Or you could indeed get a AMD FX-8350, they are pretty cheap to get. But this would still not justify a high powered graphics card. And my recommendation remains: If you can I would wait and see how the new AMD CPUs perform.

I would not do that. AMD is about to launch it's new processor lineup which apparently will finally be competitive again when compared to Intel's CPUs. I would stick with what you got and wait to see how the new AMD CPUs perform. If they don't meet your expectations I would consider switching to Intel. You will need a new mainboard nonetheless since AMDs new CPU generation will be based on a new socket. At least that's what I'm doing right now.
Alright! I'll wait it out and see! How good is the AMD FX-8370? Being the strongest CPU I can currently use, is it good enough to handle anything I can throw at it? I'm trying to get the most out of my machine before having to fight with a new mobo installation lol

I've got a FX-8350 which is pretty close to the 8370. It's a good CPU (apart from it's outdated power consumption) but also very old for a CPU and definitely not on par with Intel's CPUs. My system has got a GTX770 graphics card and the CPU is already the limiting factor since most programs/ games are not optimized to use the eight logical cores this CPU has got.

On the other hand the current AMD CPUs are relatively cheap so if you can spare the money a 8370 would definitely be an improvement over your current 6300.

I've got a FX-8350 which is pretty close to the 8370. It's a good CPU (apart from it's outdated power consumption) but also very old for a CPU and definitely not on par with Intel's CPUs. My system has got a GTX770 graphics card and the CPU is already the limiting factor since most programs/ games are not optimized to use the eight logical cores this CPU has got.

On the other hand the current AMD CPUs are relatively cheap so if you can spare the money a 8370 would definitely be an improvement over your current 6300.
I had messaged the makers of my mobo and asked if it can handle the AMD FX-9590 and he said no as it wasn't on the CPU compatibility list. Would doing it anyway harm my mobo? It's the same socket type, but supposedly not supported. Is this dangerous?

EDIT: ALSO, this is my supported cpu list, is the FX-8370 the strongest I can use? It works with Phenom and Athlon cpus, are FX better? GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Socket AM3+ - AMD 760G - GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 6.0)

If it's the correct socket type, I would just verify the supplied voltage is correct for the CPU. It will probably work just fine.

The 9590 has got huge power consumption so if your mainboard's circuits aren't strong enough to supply that much power the PC will most likely become unstable. If you really want to get a CPU upgrade now and can spare the money for it I'd go for the 8350 or 8370, depending which one you can get cheaper. Leaving the 9590 aside those CPUs are the most powerful AMD has to offer for the AM3+ socket.

Besides the 9590 ist not really that much faster. It's in fact nothing more than a hand picked 8350 that is clocked at higher speeds. According to me it's not worth the risk. If your mainboard cannot handle it you need to buy a new one and that would definitely not be worth the price, you could get a much faster Intel CPU for the same money.

The 9590 has got huge power consumption so if your mainboard's circuits aren't strong enough to supply that much power the PC will most likely become unstable. If you really want to get a CPU upgrade now and can spare the money for it I'd go for the 8350 or 8370, depending which one you can get cheaper. Leaving the 9590 aside those CPUs are the most powerful AMD has to offer for the AM3+ socket.

Besides the 9590 ist not really that much faster. It's in fact nothing more than a hand picked 8350 that is clocked at higher speeds. According to me it's not worth the risk. If your mainboard cannot handle it you need to buy a new one and that would definitely not be worth the price, you could get a much faster Intel CPU for the same money.
Cool, I wasn't sure if it was a huge difference from the 8370 or not. I'm unsure at this point if I should save up for a new mobo and Intel CPU or just get the 8370. It would be less hassle and cheaper to get the 8370. What to do what to do haha also, thanks guys for your help! It's appreciated more than you know!

Personally those cpu are really noisy and use 230 watts while the 8320 can be oc'd for same performance and use only 125 watts, much more desirable. As for Psu 600 watts is plenty but has to be good quality such as Seasonic or XFX or Antec Hcg. Corsair of today are average quality though Thermaltake is better also as is Enermax.

I had messaged the makers of my mobo and asked if it can handle the AMD FX-9590 and he said no as it wasn't on the CPU compatibility list. Would doing it anyway harm my mobo? It's the same socket type, but supposedly not supported. Is this dangerous?

EDIT: ALSO, this is my supported cpu list, is the FX-8370 the strongest I can use? It works with Phenom and Athlon cpus, are FX better? GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Socket AM3+ - AMD 760G - GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev. 6.0)

Do not try and run a 9590 on that board. It's power regulation just won't work with it. For AMD systems you need a 990FX board at least for said cpu.

Back