Upgrading to Windows 7 64 -- Driver Questions

The computer has this CPU, which I think will run a 64 bit operating system, but correct me if I am wrong.

Intel® Core

The problem is that the dell website only has drivers for a 32-bit system-- what should I do?

The drivers that come up on the website are for removable hardware, Serial ATA, and AMD driver for the video card.

Thanks

Well, yes, the CPU supports x64. I'd say clean install x64 & just let Win7 find drivers by itself. Beyond that, after its live, go looking to the M/B for drivers, if need be but, via the M/B web site not, through Dell.

Drew

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
What model is your computer? If you are using the service tag to look for drivers, it may know your system was set up as a 32 bit.

It is a Vostro 420. Yes, I was using the service tag to look up the drivers.

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Looks like you are right, all I see are 32 bit drivers....

If you click through some of the little arrows on any individual driver it, specifically compatibility I think it was, It has windows-7 64-bit listed. Does that mean I can use that driver for my system?

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
If they say Windows 7 x64 in the compatibility section, I would have to say yes, they should work.

All I checked was the CPU

D

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.